Your Top 10 Tastes of the South 2009
Jumping off of a separate thread on another region's board, thought it might be fun to chronicle the top 10 tastes you experienced in 2009 within our region. I'll get the party started.
In no particular order:
1) Pad kra pow beef, fried tofu w/peanut sauce, and tom ka gai - Thai Siam, Arrington, VA
2) The squash casserole, stewed okra&tomatoes, mustard greens, and perfect fried chicken at Jones Kitchen, Jesup, GA.
3) Pimento cheese panini - Parker & Otis, Durham, NC.
4) Spring rabbit confit with amontillado sherry & country mustard jus with goat cheese ricotta gnocchi, pancetta, escarole, turnips and sugar snap peas - Magnolia Grill, Durham, NC.
5) Deviled crab cake at Tomato Shed Cafe - Johns Island, SC
6) The tagatelli bolognese at Trattoria Lucca, Charleston, SC.
7) Maple view dairy buttermilk vanilla bean pie with flat river farm strawberries, berry sauce, and whipped cream - Magnolia Grill, Durham, NC.
8) Aunt Matte's Sunday platter spread (18-hour brisket, fried pork chop, collards, squash casserole, mashed potatoes) at Yancey House Restaurant, Yanceyville, NC.
9) Hickory-smoked chopped pork BBQ sandwich with brunswick stew, slaw, and hushpuppies - Allen&Son, Chapel Hill, NC.
10) Coarse chopped pork, mix of outside brown and inside white, Lexington #1, Lexington, NC.
1) Goat birria at La Cuata, Dudley, NC.
2) Fried whole spot at Tryon Palace Seafood, New Bern, NC.
3) Spit-roasted al pastor on lightly crisped handmade tortillas at El Mexicanito, Wilson, NC.
4) Candied yams at Carol's, Robersonville, NC.
5) Green beans in pot liquor at Mickey's BBQ, Fountain, NC.
6) Barbecue sandwich w/o slaw at Skylight Inn, Ayden, NC.
7) Hush puppies- Stony Creek Tastee Hut, Stony Creek, VA.
8) Chitlins in vinegar and red pepper sauce at Venters Grill, Greenville, NC.
9) Charcoal grilled jerk chicken from A Guy With A Grill Outside the Greene St. Flea Market, Greenville, NC.
10) Field peas and brunswick stew- Blackbeard's BBQ and C-Food, Conetoe, NC.
I don't know about this list. Imagine doing a simlar list for the west coast which would encompass los angeles, san diego, san fransisco, etc. There are just too many good places to accurately do a 'top 10 tastes of the south' without limiting it to a certain type of cusine or price range. How about the top 10 soul food places under 10 dollars, or the top 10 southern thai places- or maybe doing only places that have local ingredients or one-of-a-kind dishes. This just seems way too broad to be useful to anyone.
No particular order...
1) Cured meats & sausages from Weeping Radish, Jarvisburg, NC.
2) Oysters and scallops from Sunny Side Oyster Bar, Williamston, NC
3) The 9 course tasting menu & wine pairing at Town House, Chilhowie, VA.
4) Stir fried eggplant from Super Wok, Cary, NC
5) Sunday Doner at Bosphorus, Cary, NC
6) Perfect boiled peanuts from the rusted pick-up truck near Brasstown, NC
7) Ricotta oatmeal creme brulee for breakfast, Sunny Point, Asheville, NC
8) Our tables food at The Admiral, Asheville, NC
9) Fresh sheepshead (the fish) purchased at Risky Business seafood, Cape Hatteras, NC
10) The amazing prime rib (we cooked) from Davinchi's in Wake Forest
1. Amberjack cheek at Sugano in Lexington, KY
2. Cookies from Kizito in Louisville, KY
3. Collard greens at Africanne on Main in Richmond, VA
4. Tamales at Luna Maya in Norfolk, VA
5. Fresh pasta at Francesco's in WIlliamsburg, VA
6. Samosas and gulab jamun at Mithai House in Cary, NC
7. Queue de boeuf at Chez Carmelle in Marietta, GA
8. Coriander fish rolls at Hong Kong House in Knoxville, TN
9. Sweetbreads at Restaurant Iris in Memphis, TN
10. Goat in yogurt sauce at Layla's in Little Rock, AR