Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Jan 1, 2010 09:44 AM

What device is needed to make frosting look like this?

How can I make the buttercream frosting into a FAT spiral like that?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Use a piping bag but no tip (or put frosting in a ziploc baggie and cut off the bottom corner; the cut shouldn't need to be more than a scant half-inch long).

    1 Reply
    1. re: greygarious

      great answer. I would think just cutting the tip of a baggie off would do the trick. That and a steady hand?

      1. re: nofunlatte

        Yes, piping bag with no tip, or one of those super wide ones.
        But don't buy a tip, use the bag like grey suggested.

      2. I'm glad you like my cupcakes! I used a large piping bag and large tip (number 7 or 8). Using the tip helps me get a uniform tube, then it's up to me to adjust the height so I don't flatten it.

        2 Replies
          1. I used a piping bag to make these cupcakes for Valentine's Day. It was fun and made the cupcakes look kind of special!