2 days in Houston, need recs
Will be in Houston on Monday and Tuesday of next week, staying right downtown. Need centrally located restaurant suggestions. Will be with a group that will include children, so nothing too fine dining. Need suggestions for breakfast lunch and dinner. Interested in knowing about iconic Houston must trys and unknown gems.
This is the best Chinese food I have ever eaten. I am 60 yrs old and in those 60 years, consumed lots of chinese food. You have to try it but it is a little far from downtown.
Kenney and Ziggy's is right across the street from the Galaria, as good or better than any deli you will buy in NYC, Also Katz's Deli on Westheimer is great.
Also a place for the kids on I-45 China Bear (buffet) food not the greatest, its all about the place. The building is beautiful, there is a great gift shop and a mote of Koi Fishponds surrounds the restaurant. They sell fish food for the kids to feed the fish.
I think they have a feature at the Houston Zoo, Eat with the animals, you might check that out.
Most of these are lunch places:
- Treebeard's - 3 locations, Gulf coast food, gumbos, chicken fried steak, etouffee
- Adrian's Local Cafe - big burgers and soul food steam table
- Calliope's PoBoy - Poboys and Lousiana-style
- Van Loc - good Vietnamese in midtown
- Les Givral's on Market Square - bahn mi and noodles
- Hubcap grill - good burgers
- Perbacco - good italian in the Pennzoil bldg
- Tacos a Gogo - good taco plates, on Main in Midtown
- Breakfast Klub - breakfast, lunch, chicken and waffles
- Zydeco - Louisiana-style
- Kim Son - viet/chinese
- Luigi's - pretty good pizza for Houston
- Pappa's barbecue - just ok bbq, good breakfast tacos
Check b4-u-eat.com for reviews and maps.