Rum Balls or Rumkugeln
- cosmopolita Dec 20, 2009 10:54 AM
These biscuits are typical of German Christmas.
This is the simple recipe:
• 150 grams bittersweet chocolate (1 1/3cup chococlate chips)
• 1 knob of butter
• 2 1/2 cups (250 grams) finely crushed vanilla wafer cookies or shortbread cookies
• 10-12 tablespoons dark rum (or coffee, or orange juice…)
• desiccated coconut, for rolling
In a medium bowl, melt the chocolate whit butter over a double boiler (or in a metal bowl over a pot of simmering water).
Process the vanilla wafer cookies or shortbread cookies in the food processor until finely ground. Add the crumbs and rum to the melted chocolate.
The mixture have to be a little soft initially so if it necessary add another Rum.
Roll the chocolate mixture into small balls, about 1 1/2 inches each (I let it rest for 20-30mins before rolling the balls, because chocolate hardens) Roll them in the coconut until they are fully coated.
Store them in an airtight container.
Here the picture: