HOME > Chowhound > Site Talk >

Discussion

Edit Feature

  • 5
  • Share

What's up with the non-functioning edit feature? For the last several weeks, I haven't been able to save edits to posts. I hit edit, make changes, and it just says, "Saving..." indefinitely, without the changes ever being applied. I've left the browser window open to see if it just needed more time, but that's not it. I have a bad habit of typing fast, hitting post, then looking for typos and editing, so I end up trying to edit most of my posts. At first, it was just the long ones where the edits wouldn't take; now, it's all of them.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
Delete
Posting Guidelines | FAQs | Feedback
Cancel
  1. I've had the same problem for a long time. It seems to be intermittent, and is symptomatic of the larger problems on the chow.com server that annoy everyone so much.

    The work-around is to highlight the edited text, copy it to the clipboard, refresh the page, hit "edit" again, and paste. Sometimes it takes two or three attempts for the edits to go through. It's annoying, but less so than completely losing significant edits.

    What's even more annoying is something that occasionally happens when you post a reply (version 1), edit it and save the changes (version 2), and then try to edit again (to create version 3). When the site is really FUBAR, version 2 will show up in the thread, but when you hit the "edit" button, version 1 pops up for revision.

    1. I've found that usually when it saves "saving" forever that it actually has completed and that the edit is there.

      1. When you reply to a post, the text that shows immediately is a "placeholder". Editing the "placeholder" may or may not take.
        Refreshing the page after making your reply will show the actual posted reply, and edits to this almost always show correctly.

        2 Replies
        1. re: hannaone

          Testing the edit function.

          I've editted this post a dozen times with varying amounts of text and can't reproduce the problem. I suspect it got fixed in our January release when we switched the AJAX form submission from 'GET' to 'POST'. We are still monitoring the problem and there is a bug open about this issue. Please continue to report the problem here if it arises again and include a link to the post that is causing problems. It may be that there are special characters in the post that are causing javascript errors or it could be due to the length of the post.

          Thanks,
          Chow Engineering.

          1. re: Engineering

            It hasn't happened in a while, so maybe it was fixed in January.