Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >
Dec 14, 2009 02:12 AM

Know anything about Bulgur?

I have a recipe that says coarse bulgur and went to IGA where they only had one type on shelf and it say #3 How is someone supposed to know if that is coarse or medium

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. I know the grades but I've never heard of them being identified by number. When I order it commercially I always say fine, medium or course. There is also bulgar flour. It is quite common in most health food stores.

    1. Bulgar is designated a number to indicate the grind texture, from one to four, finest to the most coarse. I would say if you have #3, it's a medium grind. The finer the grind, the shorter the cooking time. Usual ratio of bulgar to water for cooking is1:2 but you may need a bit more water or stock for a coarser grind.

      2 Replies
      1. re: bushwickgirl

        Ya learn something everyday. Thank you!

        1. re: bigfellow

          You're welcome from the bulgar lovin' bushwickgirl.