EMP has a $28 wine page!
Based on the rave Chowhound reviews, my family of 4 did EMP's $28 lunch special for our annual holiday weekend in NYC. Last year we did Jean Georges, so EMP was facing some heavy competition.
And we absolutely loved EMP, because:
- the restaurant is MUCH more relaxed than JG, where you feel like you can't move or talk
- the restaurant is so beautiful, especially for an art deco lover like me
- the location and view are teriffic
- the service was equally as good as JG
- the $28 menu was indeed a great value (try the linguini with crab and the suckling pig)
- the portion size is MUCH larger than at JG
But, best of all:
They have a $28 wine menu page, with a choice of one white bottle and one red bottle at $28. Our white was thoroughly enjoyable and complimented our meal immensely.
Here's a blurb from the NYTimes in February: Eleven Madison Park has a list of wines of varying distinction that can be ordered at lunchtime for $28. That price buys either a sip of a very expensive wine, a glass of a less expensive one or a half bottle or full bottle of wines even less expensive than that.
One Chowhound posting said that the only thing EMP was missing was affordable wine - it appears that, at lunch, that is no longer the case.
EMP is our new favorite for a great gourmet NYC lunch.
Eleven Madison Park
11 Madison Ave., New York, NY 10010