Ideas for interesting vegetarian taco fillings?
I've been invited to a taco party and I volunteered to bring a vegetarian taco filling. What would be something great that's not just refried beans? I live near enough to Sunset Park, Brooklyn, that I should have access to interesting ingredients. Thanks, hounds!
-mushrooms, peppers, onions, and zucchini, cut into strips, prepared as fajitas (cumin, lime/OJ, cayenne, garlic, splash of soy)
-marinated portabella mushrooms
-something with seitan or smoked tofu?
-crispy-fried polenta strips
-veggie crumbles with taco seasoning
-firm tofu pressed and drained, spiced and breaded in panko, as per this recipe (but cut into strips): http://culinspiration.wordpress.com/2...
- sauteed corn, black beans, red onion, diced zucchini & bell pepper, topped w/queso fresco or cotija & a squeeze of lime
- mashed butternut squash with chipotle and green onion, topped w/cheddar and/or jack & fresh cilantro
- soy- or wheat-based veggie crumbles sauteed with tomato sauce, onion and chopped sun-dried tomato
- you could also get creative with a masa-based mixture similar to tamale filling
In no particular order or combination:
Avocados, cooked whole black beans, spanish rice
grilled corn, cheeses, onions, mango, tomatoes...you get the picture!
chilli (rice and beans together, topped with cilantro goes so well...) if you make onion ceviche with tomatoes and serve it with queso fresco.. really good =)
- roasted tomatillos with swiss chard sauteed with onion, queso fresco (and boiled potatoes)
- sauteed mushrooms with garlic, cilantro, and paste made from driet chiles that are toasted and soaked in hot water, roasted tomato
- roasted garlic, roasted poblano peppers, fresh ricotta cheese, avocado, and cilantro