LIGHT/EASY DESSERT FOR CHANUKAH DINNER
Any suggestions for a light easy dessert to end a heavy meal of latkes and brisket? I am not at home and I have no access to a good bakery and I didn't bring my Chanukah cookie cutters.
I only have one oven here which will be in constant use.
I've made jello molds for this group of 7 before, so I want something different. Something that can be made the day before would be great.
Thanks in advance.
how about poached pears? there are so many different ways to flavor them - wine (red or sweet white), chocolate sauce, vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom...and if dairy is okay, you can top or stuff them with lightly sweetened whipped ricotta (or use a dairy-free substitute).
ETA: just noticed that you won't really be able to use the oven, but fortunately you can poach the pears on the stovetop.
I second the idea of poached pears. They are our fall Shabbat dessert of choice. Poach on stovetop with some wine and cinnamon sticks. Accompany with some pareve merengues if deemed necessary.
Also, there are some great pareve fruit sorbets available: no work necessary!
1- do you have an ice cream maker? regardless you can make homemade sorbet in lemon, cranberry, coconut or any other flavor
2 - mousse and either do a premade crust, grahams for dipping, or one of the ideas below. use hannukah gelt for decoration though!
* 1 package of silken tofu (~12 oz)
* 10 oz chocolate chips
* 3 tablespoons maple syrup
* 1 tsp. vanilla extract; optional.
1. Blend tofu (preferably at room temperature) in food processor, blender, or with hand mixer until just smooth.
2. In a double boiler, melt chocolate chips with a tablespoon or two of water over low heat. Stir constantly.
3. Add maple syrup to melted chocolate and combine.
4. Put chocolate & syrup blend into processor and mix with tofu until creamy.
5. Pour into very small serving dishes - this stuff is rich. Serve warm or chill until set.
o Fold in a half-cup of non-dairy whipped topping at the end
o Garnish with cut fruits
o Pour mixture into a vegan graham cracker crust and chill until set
o Use as a dip for fruit and graham crackers
o Use as icing for cake or cookies
Vegan Chocolate Mousse: Rich Fudgy Vegan Dessert made with Soft Tofu | Suite101.com http://vegetariancuisine.suite101.com...