HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Do you create unique foods?

How to measure the surface temperature of my cast iron griddle?

The Dairy Queen Dec 6, 2009 01:33 PM

Is there a thermometer or gauge of some sort that enables one to know the the surface temperature of a cast iron griddle? If so, what is such a thing called? Do they work well?

Thank you!


  1. MikeB3542 Dec 6, 2009 09:22 PM

    Water and canola oil.

    It is generally ready to go for most uses when water sprinkled on the pan dances and skitters. If the water just boils away, the pan isn't hot enough, and everything will stick like crazy.

    The pan is just right for searing when the oil smokes. You could run the pan hotter, but you will just make lots of smoke and trash the seasoning.

    1. goodhealthgourmet Dec 6, 2009 01:41 PM

      infrared thermometer.



      4 Replies
      1. re: goodhealthgourmet
        The Dairy Queen Dec 6, 2009 01:45 PM

        Gee, that was fast! Why have I waited all this time to ask??? Thank you!


        1. re: The Dairy Queen
          philly888 Dec 6, 2009 07:16 PM

          Here's one infrared thermometer popular on Amazon that I saw mentioned as a good buy on a "deals" forum:


          1. re: The Dairy Queen
            Scrapironchef Dec 6, 2009 10:05 PM

            The one I use, on sale for $29.99, a weirdly handy thing to have around the house.


          2. re: goodhealthgourmet
            dscheidt Dec 6, 2009 05:54 PM

            But buy one from a tool supplier, not a cooking store, unless you want to pay 100 bucks for a 40 buck tool.

          Show Hidden Posts