HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >

Anyone know where to buy a Coconut Fiber Brush called a Tawashi

Matash Nov 16, 2009 05:34 PM

Apparently it is good to brush oil on pans especially cast iron ones

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Politeness RE: Matash Nov 16, 2009 06:02 PM

    Matash, the substance that in Japanese is called tawashi is the same as the substance that the Swedes call "luffa" and the English call "loofah."

    We have tawashi/loofah in our household, but we find silicone brushes superior for the specific purpose of brushing oil on cast iron. http://www.kuhnrikon.com/products/too...

    6 Replies
    1. re: Politeness
      monku RE: Politeness Nov 16, 2009 06:10 PM

      I always thought a Japanese Tawashi was one of those scrubbing pad things old Japanese ladies make.

      1. re: monku
        tanuki soup RE: monku Nov 16, 2009 07:18 PM

        I think this is a traditional Japanese tawashi. The picture is taken from Amazon Japan. I use one exactly like it to clean my Lodge cast iron skillets. It works great!

        (Actually, based on my Amazon Japan search for "たわし" [hope the Japanese hiragana characters display okay], it appears that tawashi refers to almost anything that we would call a scrub brush or scrubbie, be it natural fiber, plastic, sponge, or even metal.)

        1. re: tanuki soup
          monku RE: tanuki soup Nov 16, 2009 07:49 PM

          Thanks for the clarification.
          I got lot's of those plastic scrubbie things from my Japanese friends which I never use...too cute. Guess I wasn't paying attention when I asked what it was and I thought they said too wash your dishes....when they meant "tawashi" !!!

          1. re: tanuki soup
            tanuki soup RE: tanuki soup Nov 16, 2009 07:52 PM

            PS. To answer your question, Amazon US sells them. Just do a search for tawashi. The price is $2.30 + $4.99 shipping. (If you buy a couple of them, the shipping charge won't seem so unreasonable.)

            1. re: tanuki soup
              Stephanie Wong RE: tanuki soup Nov 22, 2009 10:11 PM

              I use mine to scrub veggies. Don't have to scrap carrots or peel potatoes as it takes the skin right off if I bear down hard enough. Love it!

              Like roycey below, I don't think it'd work well for applying oil to a pan. Have you considered using a bit of paper toweling?

              1. re: Stephanie Wong
                tanuki soup RE: Stephanie Wong Nov 23, 2009 12:00 AM

                I agree. I use my tawashi (and hot water) to scrub the gunk out my cast iron skillets after cooking. After that, I dry them really well and then use a folded-up paper towel to apply a bit of safflower oil to the inside before hanging them up.

        2. m
          Matash RE: Matash Nov 18, 2009 03:04 PM

          Thanks everyone for your replies That's why I luv Chowhound because everyone shares

          1. r
            roycey RE: Matash Nov 20, 2009 05:33 AM

            I bought mine here:

            But if you're looking for something to brush oil, I don't think it would be a tawashi. It seems to be more for scrubbing than for applying anything. It is great for cast iron though and on other stuff it is really rough but has no risk of scratching since it's coconut fibre.

            If you're in Montreal, there are a couple asian grocery stores that sell it apparently. There is one called Hello Market (I think) on Maisonneuve near Atwater, and a great Japanese store that probably has anything japanese you'd ever want, on Sherbrooke in Westmount (near Victoria if I'm not mistaken).

            4 Replies
            1. re: roycey
              Matash RE: roycey Nov 20, 2009 04:23 PM

              Thanks for info Oh yes I do know that store on Victoria - have not been there in awhle so will take a little trip there


              1. re: Matash
                roycey RE: Matash Nov 24, 2009 04:19 PM

                I just saw Montreal in your profile :)

              2. re: roycey
                Paulustrious RE: roycey Nov 25, 2009 09:22 AM

                We used to use those to clean toilets in the UK, in the dark ages before plastic.

                1. re: Paulustrious
                  rosetown RE: Paulustrious Nov 25, 2009 12:12 PM

                  So you're implying one device does all! :)

              Show Hidden Posts