New Yorker looking for quintessential Miami area cheap eats
I'm going to be in Miami for a couple of days - are there any signature or must-have cheap eats that I should have while I'm there (under 20 dollars a person) both including restaurants and other food stands or carts or anything? Any location within the city, or nearby outside (I will have access to a car) is fine (I will probably be in the Fort Lauderdale area at least briefly visiting relatives).
Happy to be referred to any quintessential cheap eats threads Florida hounds may know that I may have missed as well. Thanks.
Atlakatl - Salvadorean Sopa de Caracol Fridays Miami
El Rey de las Fritas - Cuban Frita aka Burger Miami
Sonny's - Philly Steak Hoagies Hollywood
La Sandwicherie - French Hoagies/Salads/Pate South Beach
Joe's Stone Crab Takeaway - Grouper Sandwich/Daily Special South Beach
Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza - Pie and Wings Gold Coast
Verdaddy's - Fish Tacos Miami
Lorenzo's - Itlalian Cafeteria North Miami
Jaguar - Ceviche Nuevo Calamari/Shrimp Coconut Grove
Buena Vista Bistro - French Braised Grouper
229 14th St, Miami Beach, FL 33139
Joe's Stone Crab
11 Washington Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33139
Buena Vista Bistro
4582 NE 2nd Ave, Miami, FL 33137
- pan con lechon or cuban sandwich at Enriquetas - 29th St. & 2nd Ave. - under $5
- 1/2 fried chicken at Joe's Stone Crab (South Beach) - $5.95
- tacos from Orale taco truck - NW 27th Ave., north of Dolphin Expressway - ~$2 each
- oyako don at Hiro's Yakko San (North Miami Beach) - $6 (but there's much more you'll want to have there).
- salmon teriyaki or beef curry stew at Japanese Market (79th St. Causeway) - $4.95
- almost all of the menu at Red Light, but don't miss the New Orleans style BBQ shrimp (Biscayne Blvd. / 77th St.) - under $20.
- garbanzos fritos or callos (tripe stew) at Copas y Tapas in Coral Gables - under $10.
- parrillada at Las Vacas Gordas (Miami Beach, 71st St.) - $24, but really enough food for 2 to split.
- chivito sandwich at El Rey de Chivito (Miami Beach, Collins Ave. near 71st St.) - $9 but coma-inducing.
Here's a budget dining thread though it's nearly a year old ->
And a search for "cheap Miami" sorted by relevance turns up some good threads ->
How's that for a start?