The 'Oh My God' Food Awards
As I sat eating an unusually disappointing cheesesteak at BB's last night, my wife and I were talking about what was missing. It was good, it just wasnt 'Oh my god this is unbelievable' good. Hopefully this was a one time event at BB's but who knows- places don't always stay the same over the years.
Along these lines- what food items in restaurants or delis in the Outer Boroughs have you eaten over and over that still make you say or think 'Oh my god this is good' every time you eat them? They don't have to be fancy, they just have to make you have that reaction.
Bahn Mi at Hanco's (the original or the spicy chicken)
Braised pork dish and the Pastifret at Sue Perette
Ginger ice cream at Blue Marble
Sweetbread hash at Po
Skate at Saul
La Quercia Acorn edition headcheese at Stinky (comes in a little sealed jar, like $20 ea)
Wonton soup (but nothing else sadly) at Me and My Egg Roll
85 Bergen St, Brooklyn, NY 11201
Maybe not "oh my God" but at least "This is soooo good--that's why I keep ordering it" in my neighbourhood:
-sauteed calamari at Beast
-lambajin pitza at Olive Vine (with lotsa house hot sauce)
-pork mofongo at El Castillo de Jagua
-fried dough brunch at Miriam
i'll have to second the calamar and sticky toffee at Beast. i get the former at least once a week and smile ear-to-ear upon first forkful each time.
- skate at james. beautiful flavorful dish
- grilled lobster w miso butter at blue ribbon sushi, but this is ridiculously expensive for the size of the lob
- brunch eggs norwegian (i think that's what it's called): poached eggs, smoked salmon, toasted english muffin, hollandaise, greens, at jolie
- believe it or not, the half plain, half olive and onion pie i had delivered (extra well-done) from antonio's on flatbush last week. it was perfectly balanced crispy tangy greasy old-school bk pizza.
- shrimp sammy at el castillo on flatbush/park pl, with a side of guac salad and fries
- mussels the classic herb white wine butter way at le gamin.
- choc chip bread pudding at blue ribbon. a meal in itself; easily split three ways for dessert.
Most of the food at Tanoreen (esp cauliflower, brussels sprouts, chicken fette)
Lasagne at Fragole
Ham & cheese croissant at Mazzola.
Quesadillas at the Red Hook ballfields.
7523 3rd Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11209
394 Court St, Brooklyn, NY 11231
What a great idea for a post. Here are a few that come to mind (limited to a very tiny geographical radius):
Lard bread @ Mazzola
Cavatelli w/ sausage and sage butter @ Frankie's
Pancakes @ Luluc
Plain pie w/ basil @ Lucali
Fried artichokes @ Grocery
Turkish salad @ Zaytoons
Mac and cheese with proscuitto @ Paninoteca 275 (RIP)
575 Henry St, Brooklyn, NY 11231
283 Smith St, Brooklyn, NY 11231