The 'Oh My God' Food Awards
As I sat eating an unusually disappointing cheesesteak at BB's last night, my wife and I were talking about what was missing. It was good, it just wasnt 'Oh my god this is unbelievable' good. Hopefully this was a one time event at BB's but who knows- places don't always stay the same over the years.
Along these lines- what food items in restaurants or delis in the Outer Boroughs have you eaten over and over that still make you say or think 'Oh my god this is good' every time you eat them? They don't have to be fancy, they just have to make you have that reaction.
Bahn Mi at Hanco's (the original or the spicy chicken)
Braised pork dish and the Pastifret at Sue Perette
Ginger ice cream at Blue Marble
Sweetbread hash at Po
Skate at Saul
La Quercia Acorn edition headcheese at Stinky (comes in a little sealed jar, like $20 ea)
Wonton soup (but nothing else sadly) at Me and My Egg Roll
85 Bergen St, Brooklyn, NY 11201
Maybe not "oh my God" but at least "This is soooo good--that's why I keep ordering it" in my neighbourhood:
-sauteed calamari at Beast
-lambajin pitza at Olive Vine (with lotsa house hot sauce)
-pork mofongo at El Castillo de Jagua
-fried dough brunch at Miriam
i'll have to second the calamar and sticky toffee at Beast. i get the former at least once a week and smile ear-to-ear upon first forkful each time.
- skate at james. beautiful flavorful dish
- grilled lobster w miso butter at blue ribbon sushi, but this is ridiculously expensive for the size of the lob
- brunch eggs norwegian (i think that's what it's called): poached eggs, smoked salmon, toasted english muffin, hollandaise, greens, at jolie
- believe it or not, the half plain, half olive and onion pie i had delivered (extra well-done) from antonio's on flatbush last week. it was perfectly balanced crispy tangy greasy old-school bk pizza.
- shrimp sammy at el castillo on flatbush/park pl, with a side of guac salad and fries
- mussels the classic herb white wine butter way at le gamin.
- choc chip bread pudding at blue ribbon. a meal in itself; easily split three ways for dessert.
Most of the food at Tanoreen (esp cauliflower, brussels sprouts, chicken fette)
Lasagne at Fragole
Ham & cheese croissant at Mazzola.
Quesadillas at the Red Hook ballfields.
7523 3rd Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11209
394 Court St, Brooklyn, NY 11231
What a great idea for a post. Here are a few that come to mind (limited to a very tiny geographical radius):
Lard bread @ Mazzola
Cavatelli w/ sausage and sage butter @ Frankie's
Pancakes @ Luluc
Plain pie w/ basil @ Lucali
Fried artichokes @ Grocery
Turkish salad @ Zaytoons
Mac and cheese with proscuitto @ Paninoteca 275 (RIP)
575 Henry St, Brooklyn, NY 11231
283 Smith St, Brooklyn, NY 11231
- Elk chops at Henry's End
- Lard bread at Mazzola Bakery
- Banh mi from Hanco's
- Fried rice at Joya
- Chengdu spicy wontons (RIP?) at Szechuan Garden
- Mint chip ice cream at Chocolate Room
- Pretty much any ice cream at Blue Marble
- Wings and chips with the chipotle sauce at Lobo
85 Bergen St, Brooklyn, NY 11201
192 Union St, Brooklyn, NY 11231
44 Henry St, Brooklyn, NY 11201
176 Smith St, Brooklyn, NY 11201
269 Court St, Brooklyn, NY 11231
The torrone gelato at Queen. Their gelati and sorbetti are always good but this was mindblowing.
* Peter Luger- a medium porterhouse
* Lula kebab, hummus, and bread at Salut
* Pork/Crab dumplings at Joe's Shanghai
* Strawberry Black Tea w/tapioca at Sago
* Any bagel at Utopia Bagels
* Black Forest cake at Stork's Bakery
* BBQ Chicken Wings at Virgil's (sorry that's Manhattan but had to add)
* Carne asada burrito at Calexico
* Pizza at Di Fara (although I wonder if I am just so hungry from waiting!)
* Anything at the old Cono Pizzeria on Graham (RIP, 1976-2004)
* Fresh mozzarella at Tony's Beechhurst Deli
* Chicken at Pio Pio
19-09 Utopia Pkwy, Queens, NY 11357
136-21 37th Ave, Queens, NY 11354
63-42 108th St, Queens, NY 11375
62-30 Woodhaven Blvd, Queens, NY 11374
Peter Luger Steak House
178 Broadway, Brooklyn, NY 11211
Tony's Beechhurst Deli
11-18 154th St, Queens, NY 11357
122 Union St, Brooklyn, NY 11231
fresh mozz at Caputo's
vinegar spare ribs, udon with shredded beef at Lucky Eight
anything at Yun Nan Flavor Snack
lard bread, garlic bread at Mazzola's
fisherman's eggs at Farm on Adderley
5204 8th Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11220
Panelle special sandwich (that's w/ ricotta) at Ferdinando's. Sometimes I get a side order of broccoli rabe and put it on the sandwich. (I can't seem to get them to put it on the sandwich for me, but really, who cares?)
Sfogliatelle at Court St. Pastry.
Fresh mozzarella slice at Roma.
Sunset Park trifecta
Rice noodle w/ crispy meat soup at Yun Nan Flavour Snack
Dumplings at Prosperity Dumplings
Banh Mi at Ba Xuyen
For $10 that'll feed 2 with heavenly food in lowly surroundings.
Samosa Chat at Spicy Mina (ask for it 'Spicy'). Whatever complaints of inconsistencies/service problem/lack of aesthetic appeal go out the window with this appetizer--and I've probably ordered it fifty times at the three different restaurants where she's worked. Best anywhere in NYC, Mina's version is better than the one that Southern Spice--a much more heralded (on this board anyway) restaurant--makes.
-The Veal cutlet hero w/mozzarella & hot peppers from Cono & Sons takeout window
-The Saturday morning roast beef from Tedone's
-The Semolina Gnocchi from Uva Rara
-The Lard Bread from Napoli Bakery
...There's more but I gotta stop thinking about this stuff now.
Potato and Egg and Cheese Sandwich at Defonte's in Red Hook - stand there and eat it while it is hot - OH MY GOD!
Fried Chinese Watercress with shrimp, chicken and squid at Sriphraphai
Cheese pie at DiFara's
Just about everything on the menu at Southern Spice (ok, I know that 's cheating, but I couldn't come up with just one dish)
I miss Elmhurst Queens dearly but come back every once in awhile to visit my mom. Here were some of my favorites that I didn't see listed.
chicken makhani-Delhi heights
sag paneer-Delhi heights
pernil (pork) patacon-Patacon Pisao
calypso shrimp-the islands (brooklyn)
galeos-Ovelia Psistaria (Astoria)
combo platter-sammy's food cart
tacos-don't remember the name of the carts on Roosevelt, us to go there when I was a little boy
soup dumplings-Joe Shanghai