Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >
Oct 19, 2009 08:10 AM

What is this cut of beef called in English?

Korean barbecue places in LA have a cut of beef called sah-tae in Korean, but I can't seem to find the English name for it, and haven't come across it in markets. Anyone?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Is this the same as 'Satay'?, marinated strips of beef (or chicken, pork) on a stick, flame grilled? You can use flank, sirloin tip, top round, etc. and slice it into appropriate size.

    1 Reply
    1. re: comestibles

      No, it isn't satay... it is unseasoned, grilled quickly, and retains a rather pleasant chewiness.

    2. Are there bones?
      Many Korean BBQ places here have short ribs, I believe it is a flanken cut

      1 Reply
      1. re: mmalmad

        No bones, and the beef is not flanken cut ribs (galbi).

      2. The original comment has been removed
        1. Found it -- it's beef heel meat.

          1. According to the Korean man who works next to me it is beef shank.

            1 Reply
            1. re: foodiesnorth

              Common mistake -- for some reason "shank" has become the fall-back name at times.