Fireplace in Philadelphia (bar, not restaurant)
Okay, we're looking at four days of cold and rain and we're temporarily without heat in our house - not a problem during the workweek, but we're going into the weekend + aren't wanting to spend all day at home. So - we're looking for a bar/lounge in Philadelphia (not Jersey, not burbs) with a real working fireplace - anywhere from deep South Philly to Mount Airy to Manayunk, to the far Northeast.
1) Absolute must: Fireplace that's working and has a fire!
2) Decent drinks or cheap drinks, I'm good with either
3) Food - sure
4) Comfortable seats - nice, not required, but nice
5) Atmosphere - whatever - dive bar, pub, hipster, biker bar, any will do - goal here is warm!
That's it. Simple requirements. What have you got for me?
Excellent topic. I'm obsessed with fireplaces! Here you go:
1) Devil's Den - bar with a fireplace, open on both sides - so you can feel the heat if you are sitting in the bar or in the dining room. They have an extensive great beer list. It's on the corner of 11th and Ellsworth in South Philly. food is blah (wouldn't call it bad, but it's just nothing special).
2) Mahogony - cigar bar (if you can handle it) with a great selection of whiskies/bourbons/scotch. it's an upscale kind of place, and i'm not sure if they have food. but they do have a fireplace and that is your your #1 requirement.
3) James - upscale dining, however...they have a GREAT lounge/bar area with a fireplace that is much more toned down and relaxed. They have a great bar/lounge menu if you are interested in eating.