HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >

Discussion

Melting chocolate in microwave?

  • e
  • eeee Oct 15, 2009 01:14 PM
  • 9
  • Share

My recipe calls for heating chocolate in a double boiler. Is there any reason I can't just nuke it in the microwave?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
Delete
Posting Guidelines | FAQs | Feedback
Cancel
  1. I generally use the microwave to melt chocolate. I find it's best to start with small pieces, use a low power setting, and melt in short bursts to ensure the chocolate doesn't scorch. Usually, a bit will melt, and the rest will retain the shape of the pieces but will have softened up. Stir it; often that's all that's needed to get everything melted and smooth.

    1 Reply
    1. re: Caitlin McGrath

      Me, too. Specifically, I use the "defrost" setting. :) And definitely no reason not to nuke.

    2. Yes, as long as you're careful. I start w/ a minute, try to stir. Then I do 15 or 30 sec increments, but stir each time because it'll start melting but hold its form.

      1. Another method is a covered bowl set on the warming plate of a typical electric drip coffeemaker. Its gentle heat will do the trick.

        1. You can definitely microwave it carefully like the other responses say, but I find it quicker and easy to improvise a double boiler. I just boil some water in the kettle, take two different sized pyrex bowls, put some boiling water in the larger one, put the chocolate in the smaller one, then set the small bowl into the large bowl. If I'm in a rush, I stir the chocolate for about a minute and it's melted. If I'm not in a rush, I cover it with foil and come back in a few minutes and it's melted. If I'm really not in a rush, I use one bowl, fill it with boiling water, let it rest a minute for the pyrex to get good and hot, pour the water out, give it a second for the little remaining water to evaporate, put the chocolate in, cover in foil, and leave it alone for five minutes, after which it is usually totally melted.

          1 Reply
          1. re: danieljdwyer

            I don't bother with the double boiler at all. I think today's stoves can be set at a lower setting and I use a heavy duty pot. I've never had problems with it on low, ever. And w/out a double boiler, I don't need to worry about getting a drop of water in it and having it seize.

          2. Chocolate can be melted in the MW, but it can still burn if not closely monitored. Using a double boiler can't burn the chocolate, even if you are distracted away from the stove. Bring the water to a simmer (don't allow the upper pan to touch the water), turn off the stove, and put a lid on the upper pan. When you return, the chocolate is melted. I also have found that I don't have to cut up chocolate anymore to melt it. Just put the whole pieces in. They will melt just fine.

            1. None whatsoever that I can see. I usually do it in the MW or on the stove, if I'm making something that also requires melted butter - melt the butter first over low heat, turn the burner off, throw the chocolate in. Works great for me.

              1. Just noticed this is a revived thread - I'm sure the OP's chocolate is melted and long gone by this time, but the topic is always timely!