Your top cheap eats
Recession or not, lunch is getting to be really expensive. I work at King and Spadina and getting a decent lunch under $10 is nearly impossible. But there are a few places that you can grab a good deal, here are mine:
1. Jerk Chicken and Bean Rice topped with Oxtail stew-Ackee Tree on Spadina 5.50 tax inc
2. BBQ Duck in Noodle Soup-Noodle King on Spadina 4.15 tax inc
3. Shrimp Dumpling Soup with Noodles-Swatow on Spadina ~$5
4. Steak Sandwich-European Meat Deli in Kensigton ~$4
What are yours?! Can be in any neighborhood.
I'm an east ender so my recs are from that area:
1. Jerk pork sandwich on coco bread with plantain, Nun Such Jerk - Lawrence/Kennedy ($3.50ish)
2. Falafel/Shawarma, Shawarma Empire - Lawrence just west of Warden ($4.99/$5.99 for two)
3. Chicken Vindaloo with rice or naan (lunch special), Cheetal Indian Cuisine - Old Kingston Rd/Military Trail ($5)
4. Banh mi, Rose cafe - Broadview/1st Ave ($2)
5. Banh mi, Nguyen Huong - Steeles/McCowan ($2)
6. Allan's Patty & coco bread with a pop, Mr. Jerk - Morningsige/Sheppard ($2)
7. Wood oven pizza, Calabria Bakery - Midland south of Ellesmere (starting at $8 for a pepperoni)
8. Potato roti, Roti Hut - Pitfield/McCowan ($4.50ish)
9. Crab curry, Hopper Hut - Sheppard/Kennedy ($5ish)
Coco bread is a sweet bun which is par baked and then folded in half to finish baking. It makes it's own flap which opens with a gentle pull so you don't have to slice it. I'm pretty sure it contains no coconut (at least the ones I've tried).
Here's a shot of a Nun Such Jerk sandwich I had a while back:
Babu on Sheppard Ave (east of McCowan) has some cheap lunch specials as well. I've only been once (can't remember the price but it was under $5). The selection was mind boggling.....
The sandwich combo at Caplansky's for $10 (tax not incl)
The $7.99 Veg platter at Nazareth that serves 2 people (dinner only)
Manpuku Curry Beef udon- $5.99
Buddha's special veg noodles- $5.99
Little India's (on Queen) Veg Thali$10.99 Big enough for 2 famished people (with leftovers to spare)
Gallery Sushi- Sushi Takeout special 2 rolls for $5 (includes tempura shrimp and california choice)
Hare Krishna Iskon Sunday night Dinner- Free temple is at Avenue and Davenport
Baldwin Street Chinese Restaurant on the corner of Baldwin and McCaul- Wonton Soup is $3 and good broth and dumplings. Generous portion of each.
1. Roast pork belly with rice, veg, and soup $5. at Ho Ho, 3833 Midland Av.
2. Chick 'n Joy Monday and Tuesday special: 2 pieces, fries or biscuit, and gravy for $3.50
3. Pulled pork sandwich and fries at the BBQ place, Thickson and Wentworth, Whitby, $6.
4. Steame's in Oshawa for two dogs with cabbage, and a poutine, $7.50.
5. Dunn's smoked meat at Costco food court, $5.
6. Breadhouse, Bayly & Westshore, Pickering, for a sausage in puff pastry, $1.50