Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Sep 27, 2009 09:49 AM

Why doesn't my dry measuring cups include a 3/4 cup size?

I'm fed up that my measuring cups don't include a 3/4 cup size. I have to use either 3 of my 1/4 ones, or just eyeball 1/4 less in my single cup. Does any company make a set that includes a 3/4 dry measuring cup? It won't cure cancer or provide world peace, but it would be nice to have one.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. I know that King Arthur makes a 3/4 size cup, and they also have odd sizes for measuring spoons.

    You could use a 1/2 cup and then a 1/4 cup.

    PS. I just checked and my Rubbermaid set has a 3/4 cup size as well.

    1. All-Clad makes a standard set now that includes a 2/3 cup, and an odd-sized set that includes 2/3, 3/4 and 1.5 cup sizes.

      1. Thanks, I'm heading for the local cookware store today, and I'll look for the brands you suggested.

        1. I've never seen one that had a 3/4 cup or any other "Odd" size mentioned above. Probably because with 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 and 1 they can all be used in combination or more than once to produce any measurement with minimal size and price.
          Probably also because they nest well.


          7 Replies
          1. re: Davwud

            I agree, like I said, this isn't the biggest problem in the world. But I still would like more measuring cup size choices when I have to measure something sticky or messy like 3/4 cup molasses or something. Maybe such a vapid desire is moot in this rotten economy!

            1. re: stuck in Hartford County

              TupperWare set has six - 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, & 1 cup.
              In this economy it's nice to be able to pamper yourself a little so inexpensively.

              1. re: stuck in Hartford County

                You can purchase a specialized measuring cup for sticky substances such as molasses, peanut butter and honey.


                1. re: Kelli2006

                  We had a Pampered Chef version of this and I hated it.


                2. re: stuck in Hartford County

                  a really thin misting of oil will make those sticky messy things flow out so amazingly well and you shouldn't have to remist for a second measure.

                  1. re: stuck in Hartford County

                    For molasses, honey, etc., I use a Pyrex liquid measure, sprayed with a little oil to help it slide out (or if the recipe calls for oil, I measure that first, so what's left in the cup does the job). Since Pyrex measures have graduated markings and that stuff is liquidy, it's easy to measure however much you need, whether a "standard" gradation or not.

                    1. re: stuck in Hartford County

                      Out of curiosity, why would you use a dry measuring cup for a liquid like molasses?

                  2. Why don't you just get an old plastic container, measure out 3/4 cup of something, mark that level, and cut off the extraneous plastic? You could do that for all of the odd measurements you need.