HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >
What are you cooking today? Tell us about it

Coul - top sirloin?

chocolatetartguy Sep 22, 2009 03:59 PM

I saw some small strips of beef at the market. I believe they were marked as the top sirloin coul.

Is that the same cut of beef as the top strip on a standing rib roast?

How does one cook the coul?

  1. a
    adamshoe Sep 22, 2009 06:12 PM

    I tried google, ask.com, wiki, etc. No results for "coul" except "could" - as in "could" you have misread the sign? ;) adam

    2 Replies
    1. re: adamshoe
      Soop Sep 23, 2009 02:56 AM

      The butcher could have mispelled it too I guess

      1. re: adamshoe
        chocolatetartguy Sep 24, 2009 12:46 PM

        Try googling "coul top sirloin" Google's search algorithm will often give you different results if you try variations on your search arguments.

        I'm still not sure exactly what coul is. I wished I had bought them.

      2. a
        adamshoe Sep 22, 2009 04:26 PM

        Sure it wasn't "caul"? That is the fat that you use to wrap around a roulade or rollatine before sauteeing to keep it moist and juicy and fatty. Or were they "culotte" steaks?-another name for tri-tip, sirloin tip. adam

        3 Replies
        1. re: adamshoe
          pitterpatter Sep 22, 2009 05:09 PM

          This must have meant "coulotte steaks" which, indeed is cut from the top sirloin. It is from one of the flaps, and is a hughly flavorful, though somewhat toothsome, cut of beef.

          1. re: adamshoe
            chocolatetartguy Sep 22, 2009 05:47 PM

            Definitely not caul or culotte or coulotte. Pretty sure it was coul. They looked like my favorite part of the standing rib roast, the strip of meat at the top. Does it need to be roasted?

            1. re: chocolatetartguy
              Uncle Bob Sep 22, 2009 06:18 PM

              Abbreviations are common place on meat labels...Maybe Coul = Coulotte---------

          Show Hidden Posts