HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >


What is the name of this cookie?

A childhood friend's mother, who was, I think, of Polish descent, use to make cookies with a flower-shaped mold that attached to a handled wand. The mold was dipped into a thin batter, then lowered into hot oil. The cookie released into the oil and was scooped out when golden, then drained and sprinkle with powdered sugar. I don't mean chrusciki/favorka. I came across one of these devices at a flea market but need a recipe.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
    1. re: Firegoat

      Looks like the right thing, with a different name - thanks!

      1. re: taojiemei

        No - the contraption is for the rosette-type cookies firegoat linked to.

      2. Yes, these are rosettes, although in my childhood home, they were known as Chinese pretzels (who knows??). They're very labor-intensive to make b/c you can cook only a few at a time, plus they go stale fairly quickly, as all deep-fried things tend to do. When you make them, be sure that you cover only the bottom and sides of mold, not the top--otherwise, it won't come off.

        1. these deep-fried rosettes dusted with powdered sugar were always our treat at the Ohio State Fair when we were small tykes in the 50's - better than a doughnut! crunchy and hot!
          this looks like fair food has changed for 2009: http://getinmahbelly.blogspot.com/200...

          1. Pizzelles? That is what my Italian grandma calls them.

            7 Replies
            1. re: iluvcookies

              Definitely not - but thanks for the alternate ideas, everyone. The first response has the recipe. Knowing the name of the cookie rosette was only important as a clue to finding the recipe. I believe there was another name but it may have just been something Gail's mother called them.

              1. re: iluvcookies

                I think pizzelles different. More flat and cookie like, closer to a sugar cone in texture. Almond flavored.

                1. re: scuzzo

                  Yes... and made with more eggs. But hte tool is the same I think.

                  1. re: iluvcookies

                    Nope, a rozette tool and a pizelle iron are two completely different animals.
                    rozzete batter is about the same as funnel cake batter, pizzelle is a dough usually flavored with anise, a ball about the size of a quarter is pressed between two iron/aluminum plates (clamped at the handles) and cooked over a gas burner on the stove. Rozzets are deep fried.

                      1. re: mrbigshotno.1

                        Italian pIzzelles are also like krumkake. They are flat, although they can be rolled like the krumkake sometimes are. They can have different flavorings, like the krumkake can have cardomon in them. But the basic principle, tool and technique are similar.

                        The rosettes are another animal altogether. More three-dimensional and basically fried. These were not part of my family's tradition but I always admired them when friends' families had them. So last year I tried them for the first time. And I was amazed at how easy they were especially compared to how elaborate and complex they look. Although I will say I spent about an hour on the internet comparing recipes and collec ting all the tips that were out there. (None of which I can remember at the moment.) When I followed the advice that was easy to find, these were a snap. Especially compared to how dramatic they look. As Erika L says, they do go stale fairly quickly. But they are very dramatic as part of a cookie tray.

                        1. re: karykat

                          OK so Grandma used a rosette iron and made rosettes and she called them pizzelles (she also thinks Clint Eastwood is Dirty Harry in every movie he's in... even Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby) Now she's 90 and I won't correct her, but I know now.
                          thanks :)

                2. http://www.marthastewart.com/article/...

                  Also gives you a source as to where these irons can be bought. I have an old iron (that my parents used to have) .....a fairly long handle and different patterned heads that can be attached by screwing on and off. The iron is dipped into batter and deep fried. The cookies are deffinately called 'rosettes', but don't know where they originated from.

                  Not only are these irons used to make cookies, but also savory edible shell cases that you would serve something like chicken, shrimp, lobster salads, or egg salad in.

                  Another place to look: http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coo...

                  1. I have this little cookie iron. Actually its a double handled iron with all the rosettes, timbale, and original recipes. I have owned if for 25 years and it's still in the original box. I just haaaaad to have it, and bought it years ago at Macy's. The brand I own is made by Nordic Ware.
                    The recipe pamplet that came with the cookie kit has several recipes including the one for the rosettes.

                    Dessert Rosettes
                    2 eggs slightly beaten
                    2 tsp sugar
                    1/4 tsp salt
                    1 cup milk
                    1 cup flour
                    1 T lemon extract (?) wonder if fresh would work

                    Add sugar to the slightly beaten eggs, then add milk. Sift flour before measuring,then add the salt. Stir into the liquid mix and beat until smooth.
                    Batter should be the consistency of heavy cream
                    Add flavoring
                    Fry at 375 degrees
                    When rosettes stop bubbling and are delicate brown, lift the iron out. Might need to tap it out by tapping the top of the form with a wooden spoon. Place on paper towels open side down so the oil drains out.
                    Reheat the iron in the oil again before making another cookie
                    Sprinkle powdered or granulated sugar on cookies after they've cooled.

                    I'm sure just about every Christmas since I've owned the kit I've tried to make the rosettes and could never get them to fall off the iron designs. Guess I need to try again...

                    let me know if your would like the timbale recipe. It is as Lisbet describes.

                    3 Replies
                    1. re: chef chicklet

                      Lemon juice will probably not work as a sub because its flavor is far more delicate than lemon extract. My family's recipe is spiked with plain ol' vanilla extract.

                      1. re: Erika L

                        Thanks for that tip el. Does the rest of the recipe sound right to you? I have never had success, I am thinking I didn't have my oil hot enough for certain. Should this batter rest like a crepe batter?

                        1. re: chef chicklet

                          Sorry, I haven't made these in a long time but I do remember that the batter is runny. We let it sit only as long as it took to cook the whole batch. I remember that another trick is to let the "empty" iron heat in the oil before you dip it in the batter--it should sizzle. Otherwise, the batter won't stick. My mom always used a wok, so there's a pretty large surface area relative to the amount of oil you have to keep at a certain temp. Good luck!