Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Sep 11, 2009 12:40 PM

Can you identify this rolling pin's purpose in Life?


I just bought this pin on Ebay because it was cool but I can NOT find any information on its intended use.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Just guessing, but I'm thinking to emboss certain substances, like fondant or perhaps even some cookie doughs. Fondant sheeting definitely makes some sense to me, though, thinking of some of the wedding cakes I've seen.

    3 Replies
    1. re: Normandie

      Well, I won't use it much, then. ;-) Not a good "fancy" baker....maybe this would inspire me, though!

      I wonder if the fact that it "came from a Pennsylvania" estate is a clue? I'm trying to think of specific Pennsylvania Dutch recipes, for instance.

      1. re: Beckyleach

        Well, I don't *know* that it was used for fondant, Becky ;-). (I'm of the theory that things need to be used in order to feel "loved". Which goes to show how much you ought to listen to me, since I think things "feel", LOL.)'s really strange that you should mention "Pennsylvania Dutch", because I was thinking *exactly* of types of cookies of German derivation, ginger and molasses based types.

        I also thought about Springerles, in particular, but the rolling pins I've seen for those have the individual block designs, rather than one overall repetitive pattern.

        Do you have any antiques dealers near you who specialize in Americana? Maybe you could show it to one of them once you receive it. I think it's lovely; I'll be curious to know if you solve the mystery!

      2. re: Normandie

        I saw either on a cooking show or a cookbook where the author/demonstrator was making indentations on pasta dough like the rolling pin design to get a similar texture then cutting the sheet into small rectangles and rolling the rectangles into a tube shape. Your rolling pin could be used for that purpose too.

        1. re: Paulustrious

          Thanks, Paul....I read it and it appears that the lefse pins (I'm in Iowa; seen a few of these in my days near the northern border ) has perpendicular groves, instead of angular. But you never know!

          Speaking of the link, I read this and am glad it confirmed another purchase (why am I suddenly obsessed with rolling pins?) that arrived from Ebay today:

          "A grooved rolling pin that has grooves that run lengthwise on the pin is called a French grooved pastry pin or Tutove rolling pin, named for the company that manufactures them. When this type of grooved rolling pin is used in typical French pastries such as puff pastries, croissants, or other lightly crusted pastries, it is utilized to distribute the butter more evenly into the thin layers of dough."

          I snapped this one up in a flash when I saw it, because it appears to be a lovingly HAND MADE version of a very, very expensive pin ("tutoves" seem to run around two hundred bucks!). It's heavy and gorgeous and has a lot of character.

          (I'm attaching links that may disappear, later. Chowhound is going to be on my case. :-O Maybe I can replace them with my own photos, later....Ebay pics disappear after a few weeks or months)

          1. re: Beckyleach

            Oh, by the way, Normandie: my daughter is a firm believer in "The Theory of Inanimate Emotion" herself, and I love her dearly and do not think she is cracked. :-D

        2. Reminds me of a steak hammer. Maybe you could use it as a tenderiser.

          Or what about a pie lid? You might acheive a lattice effect if you push hard enough.

          1. Fantes has similar - but not identical- rolling pins under its "textured rolling pins" subcategory. It calls them lefse or hardtack or other thin bread rolling pins, and says the grooves are to prevent air bubbles forming in thin sheets of dough. Interesting.

            Here's the link -

            1. How about this one? Not counting the handles, it's 3-1/4" wide. I'm not sure it is intended for kitchen use.