Restaurant Picks in Red Hook, Brooklyn
Set sail in late October aboard the QM2 out of Pier 12, Brooklyn. Have reserved room in hotel on 49th St, Brooklyn. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good restaurant(s) in that area?
49th Street is not in, or really near (for dining purposes), Red Hook. I presume you mean the Sleep Inn on 49th Street? In which case, the neighborhood you'd be looking to dine in would be Sunset Park. So you might want to re-post with that location--there are lots of 'hounders here familiar with that neighborhood.
Doesn't the QM2 depart from the pier in Red Hook. If you're looking for some pre-boarding dining, here are a few suggestions:
• if it's a weekend, check out the red hook ballfields (do a search--tons of posts) better even than the mexican/central american food in sunset park
• in nice weather, there's the fairway cafe. great views, decent but not great food. tho i suppose you will see the same views as the QM2 sails through the harbor.
• baked--nice bakery in red hook with good selection of baked goods
• good fork--i don't like this place, but many do so i'm including it
• hope and anchor--dinerish place with decent but not great food, but if you're not a new yorker, has an interesting vibe
• kevin's--haven't been, but it gets good reviews
• ikea cafeteria--if you don't have an ikea near you, the swedish meatballs are worth a visit once in a while.
• defonte's--great old-school new york italian sandwich/hero shop. closes early.
all of these places (except perhaps the ikea cafeteria) have been discussed on chowhound. do a search for any that interest you.