Gluten free party food?
We are planning to have a small back to school party (5-10 people) and I found out one of my fellow students is allergic to gluten. What kids of finger foods or desserts can I make that everyone can enjoy?
- all sorts of canapes with GF rice crackers
- dips served with crudites or GF corn or rice chips for dipping
- assorted cheeses with GF crackers
- wraps sliced into bite-sized pieces, made with GF corn or rice tortillas
- summer rolls with GF rice wrappers - you can make standard dipping sauces with wheat-free tamari in place of soy
- grilled skewers (shrimp, chicken, veggie) served with dipping sauces
- Parmesan frico cups filled with grilled veggies or salad
- spiced, roasted chickpeas
- spiced nuts
- mini meatballs (use dehydrated potato flakes or GF bread crumbs to bind) with sauce
- mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, or zucchini bites stuffed with quinoa or rice
- chickpea or polenta fries
- grilled polenta bites topped with wild mushrooms, caponata, or ratatouille
- frittata bites (make a large one and slice, or bake in mini muffin tins)
- dried dates or figs stuffed with cheese & toasted walnuts or almonds, drizzled with honey
- chocolate-dipped cheesecake "pops" (bites of cheesecake dipped in ganache)
- chocolate-dipped fruit
- grilled fruit skewers with dipping sauces (chocolate, fruit puree, sweetened whipped cream, mascarpone or ricotta)
- mini cornmeal muffins with lemon zest and raspberries or blueberries
mini crustless quiche (bake in nonstick mini muffin pans)
I make arancini for parties frequently. my recipe calls for a breadcrumb crust, but I bet you could do the crust with crushed rice crackers.
cherry tomatoes stuffed with flavored cream cheese
One of the fun things is make-your-own rice-paper spring rolls. You know the sort of thing, the cold, almost see through, thai and vietnamese wraps. Once you have demonstrated how to soak the rice paper for 30 seconds, add the ingredients and sauces you want them you just leave them to it. Everyone gets what they want and you can be as inventive as you want with the ingredients you provide.