HOME > Chowhound > Greater Boston Area >

rock salt?

bee Aug 21, 2009 07:14 PM

Where do I buy rock salt (to make ice cream) -- I'm in Cambridge. And does it go by any other name?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. BarmyFotheringayPhipps RE: bee Aug 21, 2009 10:13 PM

    Try an old-fashioned hardware store -- perhaps Dickson Brothers in Harvard Square or that one in the middle of Central Square.

    1 Reply
    1. re: BarmyFotheringayPhipps
      srgoodman RE: BarmyFotheringayPhipps Aug 23, 2009 02:39 PM

      It's a little early for rock salt to be out on the sales floor (usually near the registers) but hardware stores are the likeliest place. It's typically in a red bag labeled "Halite". If you ask in one of the neighborhood type hardware stores, someone might be able to pull you a bag from out back.

    2. j
      javajohn RE: bee Aug 23, 2009 03:17 PM

      Home Depot, Lowes & most hardware stores sell 40 lb bags of salt to be used in water softeners if that will work. They have it year round in the plumbing area

      Show Hidden Posts