WOP Salad [Split from Manhattan]
- speyerer Aug 19, 2009 02:37 PM
egit, here's the recipe.
New Orleans-Style Italian Salad “Wop Salad”
This dish is a longtime favorite on Creole-Italian menus across the city. It is an example of the use of, the term "wop" which could be considered an ethnic slur. However, nobody in New Orleans, least of all Italians, seemed to mind the term at least as applied to this dish, which would probably still be on restaurant menus under its old name if it weren't for out-of-towners who were kind enough to point out that this is, in fact, an ethnic slur.
• 8 cups crisp lettuce of assorted types (should include romaine), torn into bite-sized pieces
• 2 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
• 1-2 cups muffuletta olive salad
• 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
• 8 pepperoncini peppers
• 16 flat anchovies
• 8 large boiled shrimp, peeled
• 8 large white or green asparagus spears, steamed and chilled
• - freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
• 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
• ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
• 1 Tablespoon mixed Italian seasoning herbs
• 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1. Combine lettuces, olive salad, tomatoes and dressing in a large bowl, toss well.
2. Divide evenly on 8 salad plates.
3. On each plate, make an "x" with two anchovies on top of each mixed salad.
4. Top with one asparagus spear and a boiled shrimp.
5. Make sure each plate has some tomatoes and plenty of the vegetables (including a pepperoncini) from the olive salad.
6. Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.