Engagement Celebration Dinner w/ DC-Hounds
We will have friends visiting the area from Washington, D.C. later this month. They were recently engaged and wanted to take them out to dinner to celebrate. There will only be four of us and it will be a Thursday night.
Here are the preferences:
1) Not red meat focused (not a steakhouse);
2) Something unique to the Bay Area (can be "California cuisine" but does not have to be);
3) Can be in San Francisco, East Bay, Peninsula or South Bay
4) Budget is relatively open (not looking to spend French Laundry type money, but looking for something nice)
5) They won't have suits/dresses. So nothing with a very strict dress code.
We tried to get a reservation at Chez Panisse, but it was booked.
Potentially thinking of Zuni Cafe. But we'd like some other options.
How about checking the Michelin list? It's a good starting point.
* there are few good steakhouses in sf, none on the michelin list.
* "unique to sf" is a little strange, because good food is good food, although I know what you mean
* covering the entire bay area gives you huge possibilities
* there is no place as expensive as TFL, so this is not a constraint
* there is no place with a strict dress code - slacks and a nice shirt work everywhere except TFL.
Check out Open Table for scanning what places might have reservations for your special night. Open Table also hosts the current Michelin list. Coi and Manressa are currently very hot and california-oriented.