Vegetarian/Vegetarian-Friendly Near Times Square?
My mother will be attending a conference at the Marriot Marquis next week, and would love some recommendations for places she can eat lunch and/or dinner when she's at the meetings and won't have time to get out of the vicinity to eat.
She eats fish and shellfish, but prefers to make most of her meals vegetarian, so would like to fnd places where that'll work, and is looking for casual, inexpensive options. She's totally open with regard to cuisine. I'm not up to date on the Ninth Ave. places near Times Square, but I'm thinking heading west will be her best bet. Ideas?
Two other suggestions (where we eat vegetarian meals frequently):
--Turkish Cuisine on the west side of 9th Ave. between 44th and 45th (many vegetarian options)
-- Utsav (Indian on a sort of alley just west of 6th Ave. between 45th and 46th) -- the lunch buffet always includes three vegetarian dishes plus salads; the dinner menu includes a vegetarian thali platter
If you're looking for casual and inexpensive-ish options, I would recommend:
- Le Pain Quotidien on 40th & 6th
- Bali Nusa Inda (Indonesian) 46th & 9th)
- El Centro for Meixcan (53rdish & 9th)
- Akdeniz - Turkish - 46th & 6th
- Say Cheese - grilled cheese joint with variety of grilled cheese on 9th bw 45 & 46
- Pongsri (or any of theother Thai places on 9th ave) on 48 bw 7 & 8
- Saigon 48 on 48 bw 7 & 8
Hope this helps!
Thanks to you both. You've mentioned a few places that weren't on my radar, and brought a couple others to mind that I'd forgotten about. I'm among those who aren't fans of Zen Palate, though I only ever ate at the erstwhile Union Square location; I'm also not a big fan of the Pump, Energy Kitchen, or Better Burger, which I think are boring. I think my mother likes ZP okay.
Does anyone know if Jewel of India has lunch specials or a buffet (website has a single menu w/dinner pricing)?
I know she enjoy's Kellari's type of food, but I'm pretty sure it's beyond the budget of this trip.
plenty of options!
- Uncle Nick's for Greek
- Zen Palate, though i'm sure you know opinions are mixed...and vehement :)
- Jewel of India
- La Paloma or Mi Nidito for Mexican
- Akdeniz for Turkish
- Afghan Kebab House
- Better Burger has a veggie burger
- Juice Generation
- Pita Grill
- The Pump or Energy Kitchen