Need some Vegas help, please!
Hello SW Chowhounds! We're coming from Montreal Aug 20-27 and are looking for a little help! We're staying just off the strip and will be renting a car. We're hoping to find some (or all) of the following:
1. A good grocery store. We don't want to eat out for every meal and we love to cook. I see that there are a few Whole Foods but are there any other recommended stores for shopping?
2. A good liquor/wine store. Our hands are tied here in CA, as all booze is provincially regulated and we'd love to find a good store with decent pricing and good finds. We really like Total Wine, but I don't see that there are any close.
3. Good sushi. Even though we live on an island, the sushi here is not that great. We would be happy with a place either on or off the strip, as long as it's fresh and not outrageously priced.
4. Good happy hours. I saw a mention of Firefly, which sounds interesting. Again, doesn't have to be on the strip.
5. Fun place to watch Top Chef premiere on Aug 26. We love the show and were hoping to find a place that may be offering a theme party or something along those lines.
Some places we're definitely going to are the Burger Bar, Red Square, and CraftSteak. We want to do some tasting menus as well, possibly for lunch when they may be cheaper. I've looked at the "recession busters" thread and will be doing a little more research on those closer to the time. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Hi megmtl. also from Montreal. I think you'll have a great time!
Almost all the restos in the MGM studio walk have some sort of summer recession special (Craftsteak included) right now. The studio walk is a great place to eat IMO.
As for sushi, some of the locals that I have met enjoy Kaizen, which is across the street from the the Hard Rock hotel and not too pricey. Since you have a car it should be pretty easy to get there.
I second Trader Joes though I've never been to the LV location.