Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Kosher >
Jul 28, 2009 02:01 PM

Farfel Noodles - Where to buy?

I'm visiting NYC for another week and my Bubbe has me on the hunt for farfel noodles. Not matzo farfel (which she claims is just broken piece of matzo), but the kind she says that come in bags like regular pasta. They're round on one side and "not" on the other. (This is her best description. :-))

If this sounds familiar to anyone and you can point me to a market or deli etc in Manhattan that sells these noodles, I'd greatly appreciate the assistance!


  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. I don't think I've ever seen these, but Supersol would be your best bet.

      1. re: momrn

        We're staying in Midtown/Hell's Kitchen area - but I've got some free time and can visit other parts of the city if needed.

        1. re: jensterx

          I have always understood bow tie pasta as to be farfel noodles - at least that is what my mother and grandmother use - bow tie should be available in any grocery store with a decent dried pasta section -

          1. re: weinstein5

            i think she just means the farfel thats served kinda like couscous, check jew stores near the couscous thats sold in bags, if yorue heading out of the city both supersol and wassermans in kgh sell it

      2. I think your bubbe means one of two things when she says farfel noodles. Either tiny square noodled that we use in soup, which by the way we call farfel. They can be found on the UWS, Streit's I believe makes them and others. Or she might be talking about barley/toasted barley made by Mother's and I think Streit's. It's a noodle product not a vegetable but still call barley shaped noodles. They're both delicious. Try the Kosher Marketplace on Broadway.

        6 Replies
        1. re: jaknny

          I agree. To me, farfel one of those two options. We use the rougher option found in the bag made by osem or mother's (next to the couscous). Bubby probably wants the flatter ones because they are more like old times. Either way, fry up some diced onion, add farfel, salt/pepper water/chicken soup and cook.

          1. re: cappucino

            I always buy Greenfields Toasted Farfel (EGG BARLEY), round and bumpy shaped.

            1. re: sig

              Aha! I have always wondered how "egg barley," which is served as a side dish, was made. I never understood what product one would buy to make it.
              Thanks, p.j.

          2. re: jaknny

            Yes, yes... the tiny squares that are either in soup or boiled in water/broth and just served with a little butter. :-)

            I called her about the "Manishewitz toasted egg noodle - barley shape" that I found at the Food Emporium on 8th Ave and those apparently aren't the right ones. My next stop is the UWS.

            Thanks so much everyone for the help! I have a feeling I'll be bringing home a few different brands and then sending friends to buy more once I figure out which one "floats her boat"! :-)

            Yipee. Now I'm kind of excited to go hunting for farfel!

            1. re: jensterx

              im telling u she wants the ones i the bags, just ask the markets where the bagged couscous is and itll be with that

              1. re: jensterx

                If you can make it down to Brooklyn, go to one of the Jewish supermarkets (Pomegranate, Landau's, Goldberg's, Friedman's, Glatt Mart, the Kollel store, etc.) and ask for it. They've got varieties including pre-spiced mixes that just need cooking.

            2. Hard to believe that no one posting to this site is familiar with farfel. Anyway, farfel is a pasta, or, more specifically, a type of egg noodles. It is somewhat similar to spaetzle. In the Jewish enclaves of Eastern Europe it was produced by making a rather stiff noodle dough comprised of flour and eggs and grating it on something like a box grater. Here in the U.S. the best brands I know of are manufactured by Greenfields and Mrs. Weiss' Noodles. It should be widely available in the New York City area. I googled Greenfield's Farfel and was overwhelmed with choices. It's prepared similar to a pilaf. Saute some onion and/or mushrooms until soft, add the dry farfel and stir until pasta changes to a light toasted color. Keep an eye on it. Nothing will happen for awhile, then it will color (and burn) quickly. Add stock or water to about 1/2 inch above farfel and simmer on low flame, covered, until liquid is absorbed. Allow to sit for about 15 minutes before serving.

              By the way, Matzo Farfel IS small pieces of matzo. Listen to Bubbe. She knows best.