Triangle NC area Top 5
- enrevanche Jul 21, 2009 01:47 PM
Mine, in no order but these are the top 5:
Allen and Son Barbecue (Millhouse Road, Chapel Hill, NC) for pulled pork 'cue
Saffron (Morrisville, NC) for Indian
Saxapahaw General Store Cafe (Saxapahaw, NC) for whatever they're cooking on a Saturday night
Waraji (Raleigh, NC) for sushi and sashimi
The Barbecue Joint (Chapel Hill, NC) for fun tricks with smoked meats, non-pulled-pork category
A couple took over the Shell Station in town and has turned the gas station grill into a really great little restaurant (and they still sell gas)
This weekend's menu from the weekly mailer
And in case you're around for supper, Jeff has prepared the following for this weekend:
-Wild caught sturgeon over risotto, and braising greens, braised
-NC trigger fish over chickpea succotash and braised napa cabbage
-Pan-seared sea scallops with risotto and asparagus
-Crabcake with duck fat fries and local green wax beans
-Mussels, big bowl, garlic bread
-Local beef short ribs with local mashers and local bordeaux spinach
-Sirloin 8 oz., local, with duck fat fries and sauteed spinach
-Local beef and pork meatloaf, mashed potatoes, local green beans
-Quarter NC chicken with potato salad and house made cole slaw
-Linguine with meat sauce and roasted garlic baguette
-Chicken picatta, NC chicken, over mashers or linguine with local braising greens
-Bib lettuce salad with bagon and herb dijon vinaigrette
-Sweet potato and spiced pecan ravioli in pumpkin puree
-Eggplant parmesan with local mixed greens side salad
-Duck breast on baguette with local figs, local arugula, and local goat cheese
-Tomato pumpkin bisque
I'm from Kinston originally and never got around to Chef and Farmer and don't think I'll have the chance to any time soon, but I hear great things about it. The town also go it's first microbrew. I'm sure if you google search for it it will pop up. It's not far from Chef and Farmer (but then in Kinston what is really far).
the menu flyer i picked up in june has the hours:
Everyday Breakfast is M-F 6:30-10:30AM, Sat 7-2,Sun 10-2
Weekend Brunch is Sat and Sun 10-2
Special Bistro Fare Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays
Again, this was from June, so not sure if this is the most up to date. But at least it gives you an idea of the hours.
I like casual and inexpensive places, so here's my list:
1. The Federal in Durham for highly creative and inexpensive food and the best fries I've had.
2. Backyard Barbeque in Durham for chopped pork and country sides, but family style at Barbeque Lodge in Raleigh is hard to beat.
3. Fiesta Grill in Carrboro for tasty Tex-Mex.
4. Weathervane in Southern Season in Chapel Hill for weekend brunch and eating outside
5. Akashi or Sushi Love in Durham for sushi.
re: Fu Dee
Is it me, or are 3 of those chains? I know 4 and 5 are, just guessing on 3. Come on, bro.. Get out more!
1. Superior for tacos lengua and consome de borrega (although my favorite place for consome was called taquito d'oro- it was a truck (NOT the bus) outside the old buckhorn market, and I haven't found its new home)
2. Fiesta Grill for whole fish and Caldo de 7 mares.
3. Poole's Diner for, well, anything
4. Jujube on an "on night"
5. Saigon Grill for Canh Chua and pork crepes
Boy it's hard to do just 5 but....
1-The Federal for the braised pork sandwich and fries. I've lived here 35 years and I think I might prefer this to NC BBQ, sue me.
2-La Vaquita-If I could find a place that served tacos de lechon and panuchos that would make the list but until then.
3-Magnolia Grill-best pork chop ever and that grits souffle, oh boy.
5-Randy's Pizza, I've known Randy for years so I'm biased but it's still my favorite pizza by the slice in the area.
Add me to The Federal in Durham
Rest in Raleigh:
Soloman's for Meditterean
Waraji for Sushi
Mo's Diner and Bloomsbury Bistro for special occassion
Oakwood Cafe - my favorite "hole in the wall" and the best churrasco steak ever!
My top 5 at the moment, and subject to change:
- Poole's Diner
- J Betskis
- An Chau cause I needs my pho
- Kashin for rustic Japanese and ramen