West Indian Chow Mein in GTA???
Any suggestions for good places to try Guyanese Chow Mein or West Indian Chow Mein here in the GTA??? I have a traditional recipe here, but I'm too lazy to cook it myself! LOL
Chow Mein Classic Guyanese Recipe
1 lb fine egg noodles
1 lb pork
¼ lb raw ham or ham scraps
2 tbsp shee yow (soya sauce)
1 tsp Chinese spice
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 medium onions
½ lb cabbage
1 oz dried mushrooms, cut finely, if desired
20 - 30 bora beans
1 tbsp vetsin
* Cut the pork and ham into small pieces and season with shee yow, spice, salt and black pepper.
* Cut all the vegetables into very small pieces.
* Boil the noodles in salted water for 5 - 7 minutes, strain and pour cold water through to loosen the noodles.
* Beat the eggs. Make a thin omelette and shred into ¼ inch strips.
* Heat the oil and fry the meat until tender. Add all other vegetables and fry for about 5 minutes.
* Add the noodles and fry for a further 5 minutes. Add vetsin.
* Pile onto a dish, and garnish with stripped omelette, and sprinkle chopped eschallot.
Note: Chicken may be used instead of pork.
Recipe compliments of "A Taste of Guyana" - Dr. Odeen Ishmael.
1 lb chow mein noodles 1 lb chicken 1 tsp Chinese seasoning powder 2 tsp salt 1 tsp black pepper 2 eggs 2 tbsp oil for frying 2 medium onions, chipped ½ lb cabbage 1 parcel bora beans, cut finely 1 oz. dried mushrooms, chipped 4 cloves garlic, chopped Chopped shallot 1 tbsp soya sauce 1 tbsp vetsin
* Cut meat into small pieces and season with seasoning powder, soy sauce, salt and black pepper.
* Boil noodles in salted water for 5 to 7 minutes. Drain boiled noodles. Pour cold water through to loosen noodles.
* Beat eggs. Make a thin omelet and shred into quarter-inch strips.
* Heat oil and fry meat until tender. Add all vegetables and fry for about 5 minutes.
* Add noodles and fry for a further 5 minutes. Add vetsin and chopped garlic.
* Pile into dish. Garnish with stripped omelet, and sprinkle with chopped shallot.
I felt like trying to cook this dish this weekend, but was too lazy to visit the West Indian/Caribbean supermarket for the Guyanese or West Indian noodles most commonly used for this chow mein. However, I had all the necessary ingredients for this recipe so I tried this with plain old spaghetti. It turned out just FANTASTIC in my opinion. Not bad for a novice in the kitchen if I do say so myself. :)
Oh, I finally tried Caribbean Palms some time ago after the referral here. I'll definitely be trying one day their famous buffet. However, it is unfortunate the only thing I ended up getting from their restaurant was the goat and chicken rotis I picked up for friends. We liked them and will visit again for other dishes on their menu.
Read on another forum another restaurant to try for the West Indian Chow mein is a place called CARIBBEAN HEAT in the Finch and Keele area. It's quite a distance for me to travel from downtown Toronto, but I'm curious about the place. Has anyone ever tried their food for takeout or dined in?
Caribbean Heat Family Restaurant
1300 Finch Ave W, North York, ON M3J 3K2
I first discovered this place from the outside 3 years ago named CHO'S WOK WEST INDIAN & CHINESE RESTAURANT in Scarborough's Midland and Eglinton. However, I never tried the food until yesterday. My God it was the best tasting Guyanese Chicken Chow Mein I ever had in the GTA from a restaurant here.
It's so AMAZING and the owner and their family are all Chinese people from both Guyana and Trinidad that run the place. You'll see a big Guyanese flag right in the restaurant when you dine in there. Hahaha, the food so good I think I'm heading their right now again to try another one of their many dishes. Gonna get some take-out this time and bring it for lunch tomorrow. ;)
CHO'S WOK WEST INDIAN & CHINESE RESTAURANT
2500 Eglinton Avenue East
Scarborough, Ontario M1K 2R5
(North east of Midland & Eglinton)
I'll definitely have to try some of these places suggested. Just had some pretty good jerk chicken and chow mein for $5.75 plus taxes at a Guyanese place called Tropical Joe in the food court in Gerrard Square. Not bad, but I'm still searching for the best. My journey has only begun...LOL
I believe Caribbean Palms in the Flemingdon Plaza (Don Mills north of Overlea) serves Guyanese dishes...have not tried their chow mein but you could call them and ask...I really enjoy their boneless chicken roti...yummm.....
747 Don Mills Rd Unit 25
North York, ON, M3C1T2