West Indian Chow Mein in GTA???
Any suggestions for good places to try Guyanese Chow Mein or West Indian Chow Mein here in the GTA??? I have a traditional recipe here, but I'm too lazy to cook it myself! LOL
Chow Mein Classic Guyanese Recipe
1 lb fine egg noodles
1 lb pork
¼ lb raw ham or ham scraps
2 tbsp shee yow (soya sauce)
1 tsp Chinese spice
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 medium onions
½ lb cabbage
1 oz dried mushrooms, cut finely, if desired
20 - 30 bora beans
1 tbsp vetsin
* Cut the pork and ham into small pieces and season with shee yow, spice, salt and black pepper.
* Cut all the vegetables into very small pieces.
* Boil the noodles in salted water for 5 - 7 minutes, strain and pour cold water through to loosen the noodles.
* Beat the eggs. Make a thin omelette and shred into ¼ inch strips.
* Heat the oil and fry the meat until tender. Add all other vegetables and fry for about 5 minutes.
* Add the noodles and fry for a further 5 minutes. Add vetsin.
* Pile onto a dish, and garnish with stripped omelette, and sprinkle chopped eschallot.
Note: Chicken may be used instead of pork.
Recipe compliments of "A Taste of Guyana" - Dr. Odeen Ishmael.
1 lb chow mein noodles 1 lb chicken 1 tsp Chinese seasoning powder 2 tsp salt 1 tsp black pepper 2 eggs 2 tbsp oil for frying 2 medium onions, chipped ½ lb cabbage 1 parcel bora beans, cut finely 1 oz. dried mushrooms, chipped 4 cloves garlic, chopped Chopped shallot 1 tbsp soya sauce 1 tbsp vetsin
* Cut meat into small pieces and season with seasoning powder, soy sauce, salt and black pepper.
* Boil noodles in salted water for 5 to 7 minutes. Drain boiled noodles. Pour cold water through to loosen noodles.
* Beat eggs. Make a thin omelet and shred into quarter-inch strips.
* Heat oil and fry meat until tender. Add all vegetables and fry for about 5 minutes.
* Add noodles and fry for a further 5 minutes. Add vetsin and chopped garlic.
* Pile into dish. Garnish with stripped omelet, and sprinkle with chopped shallot.
I believe Caribbean Palms in the Flemingdon Plaza (Don Mills north of Overlea) serves Guyanese dishes...have not tried their chow mein but you could call them and ask...I really enjoy their boneless chicken roti...yummm.....
747 Don Mills Rd Unit 25
North York, ON, M3C1T2
Scarlet Ibis at O'Connor and Eglinton. Quite a few very good West Indian-Chinese dishes there.
I'll definitely have to try some of these places suggested. Just had some pretty good jerk chicken and chow mein for $5.75 plus taxes at a Guyanese place called Tropical Joe in the food court in Gerrard Square. Not bad, but I'm still searching for the best. My journey has only begun...LOL
I just saw an episode of Street Eats on SunTV where they profiled these types of dishes(Trini/Guyanese) maybe try their website.