Best of Flushing, near Main St Metro
- pdpredtide Jul 13, 2009 09:17 PM
Hello! I am a foodie from Florida in the area for some good eats this weekend and was wondering about a few places to go grab a quick bite while i am in the area specifically near the Main Street Flushing Metro exit. I will be there mostly on Saturday all day.
I am looking specifically for
Best Cheap Eats
Best Dim Sum
Best Soup Dumplings
Best Chinese Dinner
Best ....whatever else there is?
I am always dazed and confused when i get out there and it is greatly appreciated for any help regarding the labyrinth of people that is Flushing. Thanks so much!
> Best Breakfast
Depends what you like to eat for breakfast. Taiwanese breakfast? Dim sum is breakfast, isn't it?
> Best Lunch
Not a huge distinction between lunch and dinner at most places unless you're looking for lunch specials (even then, it's not like the regular menu is expensive). The only other distinction I can think of is if a place has a dim sum service + lunch menu versus a separate dinner menu?
> Best Cheap Eats
It's all pretty much cheap!
> Best Dumplings
Depends what kind. Boiled, fried, wontons, etc.
There is a LOT of good stuff near the subway stop there; nearly all the places that are discussed on CH are within a 5-10 minute walk.
Here is my guide to Flushing Main Street:
Most of the places that I put in the link are my favorites. They're typically good for a quick bite except for the dim sum restaurants and Szechuan restaurants. A lot of them are in "malls" or are take out windows!
Here's a good thread on Taiwanese food in NYC:
Taiwanese breakfast in Flushing:
Best Bakery: I don't usually hit the bakeries in flushing, so im not qualified to answer
Best Breakfast / Best Dim Sum:
- Taiwanese breakfast: As far as taiwanese the post kathryn put up has all pretty much every taiwanese place in flushing (that i know of) and im pretty sure thats the vast majority. I usually get my fix at King 5 Noodle
- Dim sum: I prefer Jade Asian and Perfect Team, here's some links
Best Lunch / Best Cheap Eats:
- Golden Mall: chengdu tianfu and liang pi (xi'an food) are both worth trying
- Flushing Mall: see Kathryn's link; i recommend trying the taiwanese place on the far left, good gua bao
- Gu Xiang (see Kathryn's link): super cheap taiwanese
Best Soup Dumplings: haven't had any lately, so ill leave that up to someone else
Best Chinese Dinner: imperial palace or canton gourmet, both are excellent...imperial palace is my favorite chinese restaurant in NY
there are a bunch of good places for korean in flushing:
- Tong Sam Gyup Sal: probably my favorite korean restaurant in NY http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/585453
- San Kap Soo: good bbq and generally good http://www.yelp.com/biz/san-soo-kap-s...
- Han Woo Choan: this place has great maewoon kalbi jjim http://www.yelp.com/biz/han-woo-choan...
that's a pretty good tour if you hit everywhere on that list
also since you're there, grab a peking duck bun from the window at corner 28...forgot to include under cheap eats
also if you like dou jiang (soy bean milk), the best one is from the flower shop lady