Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Jun 26, 2009 10:01 AM

What is this kitchen gadget?

Mom was clearing out some unused items in the kitchen and came across this. None of us know what it is for, do you? I put the cell phone in the picture for size reference.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
    1. re: LindaWhit

      OK Linda, how about this one? I think it's a slicer of some kind, but it's this week's newspaper contest.

        1. re: grampart

          That's exactly what I thought, too. It's for perfect pats of butter.

            1. re: LindaWhit

              Thanks all. I had thought maybe it was a slicer for Velveeta, but the reporter said it was 5 1/2 inches long. Based on that, I calculated the width at about 2 inches.

              A butter slicer makes perfect sense! And I counted the wires... You would have 16 1/2 tablespoon pats.

            2. re: grampart

              I didn't think they made those anymore! They may also work on tiny loaves of cheese for hors d'oeuvres

              1. re: Caralien

                They are still made. i have them in stock right now. The butter slicer, that is, I've not seen one of those knife sharpeners in ages.

                1. re: Candy

                  I'm fairly certain there's at least one in my parents' kitchen--in addition to knives, my mother seemed to collect knife sharpeners.

                  1. re: Candy

                    Wow, until I got my Pampered Chef knives, this was the only kind of sharpener I had!

                    1. re: Candy

                      I have one in my useless junk drawer as we speak! Never really got the hang of it though.

            3. Looks like a cell phone, to me.

              1 Reply
              1. re: ricepad

                ROFL! Well, you're half right. :-D

              2. It is definitely a knife sharpener. You pull the blades between the cylinders toward you to sharpen. Do this about 7-8 times with most knives and it will do a decent job.

                  1. I don't think it's so much a sharpener as it is a hone, serving the same function as a steel. It won't put an edge on your blade, but it'll straighten a rolled edge.

                    1 Reply
                    1. re: ricepad

                      Wonder if that's it, I tried it on a knife and it didn't seem any better after I used it.