HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >

What is ruff puff pastry?

cajeska Jun 22, 2009 08:20 PM

I'm trying to replicate a tartlet from Frog Hollow Farm:


I had them at their outlet at the Ferry Building in San Francisco and they were excellent.

I'm not sure what ruff puff pastry is and haven't been able to find a good definition or recipe. Any ideas?

Also, the tartlet had some type of a cooked vanilla pastry cream base topped with a sliced apricot. Any suggestions for a recipe for this type of pastry cream would also be appreciated.


  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. s
    smtucker RE: cajeska Jun 22, 2009 08:54 PM

    There are a lot of recipes for pastry cream, which is what you are searching for. The traditional recipes call for lots of whisking, while some more modern versions use some cornstarch to thicken. Not sure how "into" this you are, but a quick google search will find you a number of options to choose from.

    1 Reply
    1. re: smtucker
      paulj RE: smtucker Jun 23, 2009 10:19 AM

      A pure egg stove top custard is often called creme anglaise. Pastry cream (creme patissiere) is variation that is stiffer and more shelf stable, and apparently is widely used by professional bakers.. Besides milk (or cream) and egg, it has a starch, such as corn starch and flour. It's not particularly hard to make. A general purpose cookbook such as one of Bittman's or Joy of Cooking should have a recipe. The one in Bittman's 'best of the world' just combines everything, and is cooked till thick (about 10 minutes) with regular stirring. It's surprisingly quick, and good.

    2. k
      karykat RE: cajeska Jun 22, 2009 09:17 PM

      You can find recipes for "rough puff pastry" if you do a google search. There's a Fine Cooking article that comes up towards the top of the list that will help.

      Rough puff pastry (goes by a few other names too) takes few steps and less time than regular puff pastry.

      Good luck.

      1 Reply
      1. re: karykat
        hollyd RE: karykat Jun 23, 2009 10:46 AM

        if this IS in fact what you're looking for, I made this recipe for rough puff and it was amazing. Puffier and tastier (and richer) than any I've bought frozen.


      2. MplsM ary RE: cajeska Jun 22, 2009 10:36 PM

        Here's a good explanation: http://www.finecooking.com/articles/h... The book fold does seem to work best for more layers.

        I've also heard it referred to as shaggy puff pastry.

        1. l
          Lisbet RE: cajeska Jun 23, 2009 02:32 PM


          Show Hidden Posts