Burbank Drinks Near Airport?
- echoparkdirt Jun 17, 2009 12:44 PM
Any place around LAX that would be good for a few guys to hang out and drink friday nite (maybe eat)? I'm thinking of a friendly Mexican place with average food and red booths, some place cool and not too crazy crowded ?
God, where do I start?
1. The food is always lukewarm. Complain and it comes back ripping hot with the edges burnt, except for the tacos, which always have filling so hot and greasy they turn the tortillas to mush.
2. The salsas are all watery.
3. Everything is covered in cheese. Even the beans are buried under a quickly-congealed layer of whitish cheese.
4. The meat has little flavour. It's salted but it does not taste rich or meaty, just salty and tough. The carnitas especially are guilty of this.
5. The one time I got shrimp it was so comically overcooked I laughed. When I cut one with a fork, it SHREDDED.
6. The service varies. Sometimes the service is spot on, and other times I could grow a beard waiting to be waited on. Consistently, though, you can't get the check unless you walk up and accost the server.
7. For what it is, it's very expensive. This is $7.99 combo plate food and the prices are pushing 150% of that.
I've never had the posole. I'm never going back. If I can keep just one person from experiencing the horror that is a dinner at Barragan's, I'm happy. I would sooner eat at Chevy's.
For that seventies vibe...there's Gary's Bric Ramp. (Or something like that) right when you exit the 5 south at Hollywood Way. Not Mexican...think steaks and potato skins.
Gary Bric's Ramp
7730 N Hollywood Way, Burbank, CA 91505