Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Jun 12, 2009 06:54 AM

the cool thing that cuts the tops off eggs

what is it called and where do i get it? i want one.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. It's an egg topper...

    Here's one from a site I like to order from here in Canada...

    And one on

    8 Replies
    1. re: Fizzzzzy

      thanks fizzzzy!!
      i've looked at those before, but never bought them
      don't know if you watched top chef, but stefan had this little device (same purpose but looks like it would do a better job)

        1. re: ferret

          thanks! that was the one i was looking for, it looked so interesting.
          but then again, that german one is just the height of coolness. :)

          1. re: ferret

            Holy crap! $78 for an egg topper?????

            1. re: pikawicca

              Well, if you're spooning caviar on your soft boiled eggs as in the photo, you might as well go all out.

              1. re: David A. Goldfarb

                You are, of course, right, but this is very perverse.

        2. re: Fizzzzzy

          When I looked at Amazon it gave a list of things that 'people who bought this also bouth the following'. This included...

          Tomato Corer
          Corn Stripper
          Colour changing egg timer

          Can you imagine their kitchen drawer?

          1. re: Paulustrious

            i've entertained the concept of a corn stripper.

            but $78 for an egg cutter? riiiiiight! (i wonder how the company derives this price? crazy!).

        3. The way coolest egg cutter for boiled eggs is the German precision made "Clack."

          See attached photo.

          Also at

          I got mine from a US source but I haven't refound it yet.

          2 Replies
          1. re: GeezerGourmet

            does it really truly reliably work? let me know if it does... i'll be on the hunt

            1. re: madkittybadkitty

              Works great. Raw eggs too, though messy...
              Matfer now makes a Clack knockoff.

          2. i'm getting one - haven't decided which. $78 (or even 28 euros) is serious pain for an egg gadget.