HOME > Chowhound > U.K./Ireland >


Where can I buy American cupcake cases in London?

I recently bought the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook, and realised to make cupcakes as you would buy in one of their stores you need American (large) cupcake cases. I can't find them anywhere in London, so ended up using muffin cases, but these spread to much and I ended up with flat, wide cupcakes. Still tasty, but not the same. Any tips?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Somewhere like Nisbets www.nisbets.co.uk may have them - they have pretty much everything else!

    1 Reply
    1. re: pj26

      Thanks, can't seem to find them on there... you wouldn't think it would be so hard to find cupcake cases!

    2. Maybe Lakeland? I guess I'm glad I brought my American cases along with me. I didn't realize they are bigger than the muffin cases here, and maybe they are not for all I know.

      4 Replies
      1. re: zuriga1

        Lakeland sells them, as do most cooking shops which tend to have cases imported from America.

        There's a load of them on eBay too.


        1. re: nanette

          Funny how the brain works. Even though the OP said 'cases,' in my mind I was thinking the aluminium pans. I think in America those are often called muffin pans, too. Good to know that Lakeland sells the cases. Thanks.

          1. re: zuriga1

            Yeah, I wasn't too sure either. You can't use a "bun"/yorkshire tin to make proper cupcakes or muffins and we (as Americans) have a different sized tin.

            It seem here that there are a wide variety of liners making it most confusing.

            1. re: nanette

              Maybe people should be looking for fairycake liners. They seem about the same size as 'our' American cupcakes. :-) I just love that name.

      2. You can order them from Amazon(US). Look for "cupcake pans".

        1. Place the muffin cases in a metal tart tray to stop them spreading, it also helps to fill them.

          1. I saw muffin cases today at Heal's. They also had muffin tins. I think they looked smaller than the U.S. version.

            1. Divertimenti in Marylebone High Street sells foil "American Muffin Cases" which are larger than normal cupcake cases. I was in there on Saturday and there's a basket of them on the lower ground floor. I was a bit disappointed they didn't seem to have a range of regular cupcake cases - there's a few places in the UK that sell the US brand Wilton which is what I tend to buy. For a good selection, Lakeland is good and also as I work once a month down in Bath I tend to stock up at my favourite kitchen store ever which is called "Kitchens" - it's on Quiet Street in Bath, just off the main pedestrianised shopping street.

              4 Replies
              1. re: themags

                I don't know if this will help, but the standard US cup cake pan has cups that are 6 1/2 cm across the top 4 1/2 cm across the bottom and 3 cm deep. You can get pans that hold 6 or 12. We use both for cup cakes and muffins. We do have "Texas" muffin pans which of course, are much larger. One can also buy muffin top pans. They are shallow and about 10 cm across. They were first marketed as individual Yorkshire pudding pans.

                1. re: Candy

                  I just made the Hummingbird recipe the other day and what you need is a muffin tin and then muffin cases (available at Waitrose) rather than cup cake cases. The case has to fit the tin perfectly otherwise if the case is smaller than the tin they will spread as you describe. I learnt this the hard way!


                  1. re: Gourmet Chick

                    I realise that I may be too late to respond, but you can buy cases that are taller than our standard fairy cake cases at http://www.cakescookiesandcraftsshop....

                    Hope this helps!

                    1. re: Gourmet Chick

                      I agree with this. I have bought muffin pans everywhere but especially John Lewis and then just buy the cases from most any supermarket. I usually go to Sainsburys. It's not a big problem. By muffin, I don't mean gigantic American muffins. Muffins were popular in England before cupcakes were.

                2. Suggest that you try Whisk Cooking Solutions in Devonshire Road Chiswick W4 - 0208 995 8990 - they stock Wiltons cases who I understand are American-made?

                  1 Reply
                  1. re: Snufflehound

                    I've also seen them at the Sainsbury's on Cromwell Road-- I bet many of the larger supermarkets in London will have them.