what's your favorite trifle combo?
I made a lovely trifle today with chocolate cake, fresh raspberries, vanilla pudding and whipped cream. I started wondering what other people like to use in theirs. I wish I'd found a little raspberry syrup of some sort to soak the cake, but it was a last minute thing. Other than that, it was terrific!
sweet sherry for the cake ( I prefer plain cake), canned fruit cocktail, red jello and English yellow custard such as made by Bird's, then whipped cream with flaked toasted almonds.
This is one to save for fall or winter (I served it for dessert following Christmas dinner): Layers of pound cake, cinnamon pastry cream, chunks of poached pear, and dark chocolate sauce, topped with whipped cream and shaved chcolate.
A riff on the French poires belle Helene, poached pears with chocolate sauce and whipped cream or ice cream.
- pumpkin gingerbread with butterscotch pudding
- banana bread with vanilla or butterscotch pudding, sliced bananas & chocolate sauce
- carrot cake with whipped ricotta, currants or tart cherries & toasted walnuts
- sour cream pound cake with lemon pudding, fresh berries & whipped cream
- chocolate cake with mocha pudding, figs, cacao nibs & whipped cream
Such a fan of the trifle combo pak..
Latest is Fresh Grilled Pineapple on the grill and layered with angel food cake chunks, vanilla pudding, chunks of grilled pineapple and fresh whip cream..repeat..
Cost was about $7 total and priceless..Damn it's good!