Best outdoor dining recommendations
Hello fellow Chowhound fans! I am a big fan of eating outdoors and haven't found the best of Boston yet. I have eaten at Union Bar in Newton, Captain Fishbones, Skyline and Siro's at Marina Bay, Fiore's Roofdeck in the North End and a few other places. Now that the nice weather is here where would you all recommend in and around the city?
This comes up a lot, and there is probably plenty of opinions in the archives.
Boston is woefully lacking in al fresco dining, particularly if you don't include street-level tables in your list.
Seven of my favorites:
- Oleana's wonderful backyard is one of the most beautiful places I've eaten, anywhere
- Dante's outdoor area has a beautiful view of the city, and unlike most other restaurants I believe they take reservations for it
- Casa Romero has a small but quaint outdoor dining area, perfect for their strong margaritas
- B&G Oysters' subterranean patio is wonderful, and a perfect match for a dozen oysters and glass of chablis
- La Voile's patio, although street-level, is large and secluded enough I almost forget I am on Newbury St
- Marliave now has an outdoor cafe, which I've seen but not yet enjoyed
- Barking Crab is essentially a tent on the water; I love them for beer, lobster, and live music but other hounds dislike the place
A few others to note:
- Toro is one of my favorite spots in the city, but their outdoor seating is tables right on Washington St, so I always opt for indoors--although you can often snag an outdoor table when nothing is available inside (tells you something about eating outdoors)
- Harvest has a nice patio, but I'm not a big fan of the place otherwise
- Via Matta has a street-level patio, but I've never eaten on it
- Charlie's Kitchen and Daedalus, two decent beer-focused bars both in Harvard Sq, have a back patio "beer garden" and roof deck, respectively
- Brasserie Jo has outdoor seating, but again its just street-side tables (on Huntington Ave)
- Parish Cafe has a large street-level patio on Bolyston St, I like them for their sandwiches
I liked the outdoor area at Red Fez in the South End, Oleana is great and Bella Luna just added a patio to their new space in the Brewery in JP that looks like it'll be really nice. Its nothing fancy or great food wise, but I love taking the T boat to Charlestown (from Central Wharf/Aquarium) and getting a drink and a burger at Tavern on the Water. You can use your monthly T pass on the inner harbor boats.
134 Hampshire St., Cambridge, MA 02139
Tavern On the Water
1 8th St # 6, Charlestown, MA
1222 Washington St, Boston, MA 02118
An update. Ate at Pazzo tonight and it was the best meal I've had in ages. I'm planning to start a separate thread. It was that good. We ate on the patio; a beautiful, warm, summer night --I can't remember the last time i a) ate on newbury street b) ate on newbury street and actually had a delicious meal.
FWIW --we were planning to go to Dante but plans changed. They do not take reservations for their outside seating --at least that is what the reservationist told me when i called today --first come, first serve --like, i believe, the policy at most places.