Best outdoor dining recommendations
Hello fellow Chowhound fans! I am a big fan of eating outdoors and haven't found the best of Boston yet. I have eaten at Union Bar in Newton, Captain Fishbones, Skyline and Siro's at Marina Bay, Fiore's Roofdeck in the North End and a few other places. Now that the nice weather is here where would you all recommend in and around the city?
This comes up a lot, and there is probably plenty of opinions in the archives.
Boston is woefully lacking in al fresco dining, particularly if you don't include street-level tables in your list.
Seven of my favorites:
- Oleana's wonderful backyard is one of the most beautiful places I've eaten, anywhere
- Dante's outdoor area has a beautiful view of the city, and unlike most other restaurants I believe they take reservations for it
- Casa Romero has a small but quaint outdoor dining area, perfect for their strong margaritas
- B&G Oysters' subterranean patio is wonderful, and a perfect match for a dozen oysters and glass of chablis
- La Voile's patio, although street-level, is large and secluded enough I almost forget I am on Newbury St
- Marliave now has an outdoor cafe, which I've seen but not yet enjoyed
- Barking Crab is essentially a tent on the water; I love them for beer, lobster, and live music but other hounds dislike the place
A few others to note:
- Toro is one of my favorite spots in the city, but their outdoor seating is tables right on Washington St, so I always opt for indoors--although you can often snag an outdoor table when nothing is available inside (tells you something about eating outdoors)
- Harvest has a nice patio, but I'm not a big fan of the place otherwise
- Via Matta has a street-level patio, but I've never eaten on it
- Charlie's Kitchen and Daedalus, two decent beer-focused bars both in Harvard Sq, have a back patio "beer garden" and roof deck, respectively
- Brasserie Jo has outdoor seating, but again its just street-side tables (on Huntington Ave)
- Parish Cafe has a large street-level patio on Bolyston St, I like them for their sandwiches
I liked the outdoor area at Red Fez in the South End, Oleana is great and Bella Luna just added a patio to their new space in the Brewery in JP that looks like it'll be really nice. Its nothing fancy or great food wise, but I love taking the T boat to Charlestown (from Central Wharf/Aquarium) and getting a drink and a burger at Tavern on the Water. You can use your monthly T pass on the inner harbor boats.
134 Hampshire St., Cambridge, MA 02139
Tavern On the Water
1 8th St # 6, Charlestown, MA
1222 Washington St, Boston, MA 02118
bouchee gets mixed reviews on here, but has a very nice patio, as does tapeo.
the intercontinental has a really lovely patio on the water, where you can order apps from the rumba menu.
blue room has an awesome patio.
An update. Ate at Pazzo tonight and it was the best meal I've had in ages. I'm planning to start a separate thread. It was that good. We ate on the patio; a beautiful, warm, summer night --I can't remember the last time i a) ate on newbury street b) ate on newbury street and actually had a delicious meal.
FWIW --we were planning to go to Dante but plans changed. They do not take reservations for their outside seating --at least that is what the reservationist told me when i called today --first come, first serve --like, i believe, the policy at most places.