HOME > Chowhound > Not About Food >
What are you cooking today?

Chowllenge: What to call a patty with fillers?

greygarious May 18, 2009 01:34 PM

When a meat-mixture patty served on a bun is called a burger, many foodies object, wanting the term "burger" to mean a patty of plain meat or meat mixed with minimal seasoning/additions, not much more than onion or garlic, and perhaps cheese. Others want to call a meatloaf mixture cooked in patties a burger. Turkeyburgers are almost always meatloaf-like, since they are too lean to hold together without binders. This could be resolved if the culinary lexicon had a generally-accepted term for a patty made from a protein plus binders including egg and starch. After all, it's a crab cake, not a crab burger. But beefcake has a whole other definition. Patty refers to shape rather than content. Croquettes CAN be patty-shaped, but are most often breaded and deep-fried. The German/Nordic frikadelle is a meatloaf mix sauteed in patty form, but most Americans are unfamiliar with the term, and even when it's defined, think it sounds like a swear word.

If there's already a word for this, it's not widely known. So, a chowllenge (challenge) - Can we dig up or think up, agree on, and popularize a word for the patty with binders? A better term would also be helpful in describing the patty when it's served as the meat part of a typical meat/starch/vegetable dinner, since "burger" connotes something on a bun. .

  1. goodhealthgourmet May 18, 2009 01:50 PM

    why not just stick with patty?

    1. LindaWhit May 18, 2009 01:50 PM

      I don't have a suggestion for you on this topic, greyg, but I will be very interested to see if anyone comes up with some interesting ideas!

      1. Veggo May 18, 2009 01:58 PM

        I have been misled many times with "Krab delight". How about "Kow delight"?

        1. a
          adamshoe May 18, 2009 02:02 PM

          How about a "blurger"? (To steal Tina Fey's word...) A blended burger= a blurger.

          1. h
            Humbucker May 18, 2009 02:09 PM

            A hamburger "pâtté"?
            A loafer or loaflet?
            Meat pudding?

            1. mcsheridan May 18, 2009 03:26 PM

              I call it a patty, or cake as the case may be: Chicken patties, crab cakes, salmon cakes, whatever.

              Beef Exception for Salisbury Steak: A patty of ground beef mixed with eggs, milk, onions, and various seasonings and broiled, fried, or baked. Put too much more in there, and it's a meatloaf patty, or "pan meatloaf".

              Don't get me wrong: I LOVE meatloaf patties. :)

              (This thread should "go long"...Let the Games Begin!)

              1. j
                jaykayen May 18, 2009 03:27 PM

                flattened meatball.

                1. Sam Fujisaka May 18, 2009 03:46 PM

                  Muttloaf !

                  Also thought of mongreloaf, cow cake, meat cake, pattymix, and meatpastepatty.

                  2 Replies
                  1. re: Sam Fujisaka
                    c oliver May 18, 2009 03:56 PM

                    But not a cow patty - that's something else entirely!

                    1. re: Sam Fujisaka
                      Veggo May 18, 2009 04:38 PM

                      Now there's a list for the chalk board daily specials that whets an appetite.
                      We carnivors will be in peril when we have to choose among bovine-enhanced Wonder Bread dumplings, hushpuppies with hint of lamb and mint sprig, and kosher pulled-pork pattie with Krab sauce.

                    2. BobB May 19, 2009 03:48 PM

                      My Russian wife makes these, both chicken and beef varieties. In Russian they're called kotlyete (with a soft y). Very similar to frikadellen.

                      Funny, when I read the title of this thread my first thought was that you were looking for all the different names for filled pastries, known variously as Jamaican meat patties, empanadas, turnovers, etc.

                      5 Replies
                      1. re: BobB
                        Passadumkeg May 19, 2009 04:02 PM

                        I grew up on cutletti (Americanized spelling), both my grandmother and mother made them.

                        How about using Finnish for hamburger; Hamperlienen?

                        1. re: Passadumkeg
                          Sam Fujisaka May 19, 2009 04:13 PM


                          1. re: Sam Fujisaka
                            Emmmily May 21, 2009 10:46 AM

                            Hahahaha. I'll be making turkey/lamb/pork-burgers with all sorts of herbs & spices mixed in for my birthday/Memorial Day bbq tomorrow, and I may just have to put that on the label. Danke scho"n!

                          2. re: Passadumkeg
                            weezycom May 19, 2009 04:20 PM

                            Nah, hamperlinen sounds like where you stash the dirty sheets until wash day.

                            1. re: weezycom
                              goodhealthgourmet May 19, 2009 05:16 PM

                              LOL! i had precisely the same thought when i read that...though i guess if you topped the patty with Limburger cheese the name would be quite appropriate ;)

                        2. ipsedixit May 20, 2009 11:01 PM

                          That's called a "Salisbury Steak"

                          1. k
                            Kater May 21, 2009 10:19 AM


                            1. k
                              KiltedCook May 25, 2009 07:57 AM

                              What do I call a buger with things in it? Stufffed. Whether we're talking 'like a meatloaf' with bits and pieces throughout, or 'like a filling' such as my Surf N Turf Burgers where you take two patties and put a lump of chopped, cooked spicy shrimp between the patties and press together before grilling.

                              1. coll Jun 13, 2009 08:34 AM

                                I always thought "patty" signified that the meat contains fillers, usually soy, by laws specified through the USDA. There is a certain percentage of filler indicated, but I don't remember the exact amount off hand. Otherwise it is a "burger".

                                1 Reply
                                1. re: coll
                                  bagelman01 Jun 16, 2009 06:38 PM

                                  Here in Connecticut, state law says that a hamburger must be 100% all beef with no fillers or extenders. A burger can be anything. For years the Duchess fast food chain (Fairfield and New Haven counties) advertised their 'Big D Burgers' which contained fillers. They didn't disclose it and weren't required to do so by law.

                                2. paulj Jun 15, 2009 09:34 AM

                                  According to the OED

                                  'patty' comes from French 'pate' (I thought it had to do with 'patting out'
                                  and defines it (in US usage) as: 'a small flat cake of minced food, especially meat'

                                  Is this a case where a general word has developed a narrower connotation, based on ideas of what constitutes the perfect burger?

                                  The other definition is 'a small pie', which is probably the meaning in 'Patty Cake, Patty Cake'.

                                  3 Replies
                                  1. re: paulj
                                    BobB Jun 15, 2009 09:39 AM

                                    Not that narrow - while hamburger patty is the most common usage, second place is probably peppermint patty, followed by sausage patty, salmon patty, and Jamaican patty (though this last one is actually a pastry filled with spiced meat).

                                    1. re: BobB
                                      Emmmily Jun 15, 2009 02:19 PM

                                      What about cow patty?

                                      1. re: Emmmily
                                        BobB Jun 16, 2009 08:07 AM

                                        Uhhhh...ok, if that's to your taste. I thought we were just talking about edible patties. ;-)

                                  2. t
                                    tomishungry Jun 15, 2009 02:26 PM

                                    Hmmm, wasn't there a Cheers episode where the guys were wondering why the loobster and the bif were $3 and $2, respectively?

                                    1. m
                                      melly Jun 16, 2009 08:22 AM

                                      Poly Patty

                                      1. s
                                        Sal Vanilla Jun 16, 2009 02:40 PM

                                        Omniburger. Omnipatty. Kohlerkake (everything but the kitchen sink)?

                                        I love the Muttloaf someone wrote.

                                        ....Sam Fujisaka!

                                        1 Reply
                                        1. re: Sal Vanilla
                                          Sam Fujisaka Jun 16, 2009 07:18 PM

                                          Thanks, Sal. I love the words "mutt" (very 20s - 30s American) and "mongrel" (very Australian).

                                        2. paulj Jun 16, 2009 02:46 PM

                                          Are you sure you haven't bought into that advertising that you've heard since childhood about 'all beef patties'? Maybe the generic item should be 'patty', while the 'pure' one gets a special name.

                                          Show Hidden Posts