HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >

Discussion

Need Clay Pot Help

  • 5
  • Share

I have an Amnionware (porous glazed inside, cover unglazed) pot. Soaked in water and used it to make a great bean dish. Washed and stored afterwards, alas, with the cover on. Weeks later, I just took it out again to repeat the bean dish, and the inside has lots of black and grey mold, the cover, too. Is it now trash, or does anyone know how I can safely clean this for re-use?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
Delete
Posting Guidelines | FAQs | Feedback
Cancel
  1. You've basically created a cabinet chia-pet. Obviously the water didn't dry out of the pot walls completely and it was a good dark, cool environment for mold. Because of the porous nature of the pot I'm not sure if you can really clean it very effectively, with chemicals or product. Perhaps a good scrub in soap and water and then pop it in the oven?

    If you're so fast to throw it in the trash though, I'm not sure how much work you're willing to put into it. I'm not a huge fan of the pots myself.

    1 Reply
    1. re: SQHD

      I don't know what it would do to the finish, but I'm a fan of oxygen bleach granules and a good scrub and soak when you really want to clean something.

    2. Thanks to SQHD and Cinnamon for responding. I'm a bit wary of bleach, but I did try a thick paste of baking soda all over the inside, and a good coat on the cover. I put the pot and lid in direct sun for about 4-5 hours to let the baking soda really bake on. After, I scrubbed with a plastic gritty sponge and warm water. It looked and smelled great, but I do see some dark shadows here and there under the glaze. So SQHD, you were right to advice not to trash it, and a little extra work may have helped. I am now cooking claypot bean soup, this time with the pot lined with parchment. But the jury's still out how the pot will look in another week or so. Thanks again.

      2 Replies
      1. re: vk91356

        That sounds like the best option. I certainly wouldn't have used any kind of bleach product or any chemical of any sort. Even if the chemical ended up being completely harmless you'd have to worry about off flavors, etc. and it just wouldn't be worth it. Glad to hear it turned out so well.

        1. re: vk91356

          Glad to hear the NaHCO3 worked for you.

          By the way, if anyone does need to resort to bleach, there are a couple main types. Oxygen bleach, the one I'd try if needed, is very different from sodium hypochlorite (Clorox-type) bleach.

          Here's one page noting its use in cleaning cookware: http://www.leavesofjade.com/index.php...

          This brand discusses the ingredients - essentially salt, oxygenated water and lime (which ends up, I think, as just calcium).
          http://www.greatergoods.com/store/gre...

          I don't think any taste from this would stay in clay cookware, but I suspect the baking soda was gentler when used straight and I would have opted for something like that that first too.