Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
May 8, 2009 08:37 AM

"Vana" Uni?

A place in CA (Catalina) sells a more "liquid" form of uni called "vana"; much cheaper but I'm presuming not good for gunkan.

I'm thinking this might be good for a rissoto or even in the rice for a real gourmet chirashi.

Has anyone here used it? Comments anyone?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. I live in San DIego and I go there for fresh fish. Were you thinking of having it shipped. They supply many of the local suchi bars with product.

    1. Uni, as I know it, is Sea Urchin. Is this liquified sea urchin? I've visited just about every island in the Pacific, sans Catalina, but I'm not sure I understand what it is you're looking for.

      2 Replies
      1. re: todao

        According to the website:

        "Vana is a darker and more liquid form of uni, which is fresh and can be eaten raw."

        My *guess* is that this simply looser - perhaps with with broken pieces added?

        1. re: Richard 16

          there are grades of urchin, with "a" being the highest. vana is the hawaiian word for sea urchin and is the "c" grade, or poorest quality. yes, it's the broken bits. it would be perfect for a sauce for risotto or pasta. :)

      2. Goes great chilled on cold soba noodles.