Cinco de Mayo margaritas in DC/VA?
I am trying to organize a group outing for cinco de mayo. We'd appreciate something that won't be jammed (if you know of any small, special places), any good deals, or simply the best place to get a margarita in DC/NoVa. So we're thinking either cheap and decent, or simply amazing.
We're willing to drive, too, if you know of any special mexican places out in nova that are worthwhile.
So far I've got recs for La Loma downtown, Casa Oaxaca, Don Pablos... but nothing really SPECIAL.
There are lots of options.
* Alero: U Streets, Alero celebrates with Grand Margarita tastings (Jose Cuervo Margarita with Grand Marnier), $4 Cuervo Margaritas, $6 Cadillac Margaritas, Nuvo body painted ladies in the Nuvo VIP section, free samples of Nuvo, tons of giveaways, food specials, etc. 4 p.m. to close. (1301 U St. NW)
* Cabanas: Not only does Cabanas offer waterfront dining in Georgetown with views of the Potomac River for Cinco de Mayo, they will feature a live band and a DJ to rock the house Mexican style all night long. The relaxing waterfront location will put you at ease as the drink specials and Jose Cuervo deals keep you bopping all night long. (3050 K St NW)
* Cafe Citron: Win $100 cash for being the sexiest or funniest Mexican around in Citron's costume contest. Compete at 8 p.m. and midnight for the prize. From 5-7 p.m. enjoy tasting samples of Jose Cuervo margaritas topped with Grand Marnier from 5 to 7 p.m. with lots of free giveaways and prizes. Hurnito tequila shots for $5, $6 cuervo margaritas, $4 megro modelos, Coronas, and Dos Equis, and half-priced appetizers from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. (1343 Connecticut Ave NW; pictured on right)
* Cantina Marina: Enjoy free samples of Jose Cuervo Margaritas topped with Grand Marnier, lots of giveaways; 5-7 p.m. (600 Water St., SW)
* Ceiba: $5 Marguerita's & $5 appetizers all day from 11:30 a.m. - close (701 14th Street, NW)
* Chi-Cha Lounge: Hope House, an organization that helps children and families with imprisoned fathers, is holding a Cinco de Mayo happy hour at Chi Cha Lounge. The event will feature a silent auction. $15 suggested donation; 6 PM. (1624 U St. NW)
* Haydee's: This authentic Latin restaurant will feature "DC Mariachi", a band of accomplished performers from around the metro area. Band starts at 9:30 p.m. Beer and margarita specials available. ( 3102 Mt Pleasant St SW)
* Lauriol Plaza: Three floors of activites. Opening at 11a.m., Lauriol Plaza will have several promotions from Dos Equis and Cointreau with free giveaways and some live music. For a more low key approach you can check out their sister establishment on Wisconsin Avenue, Cactus Cantina. (1835 18th St. N.W. - Washington)
* Lima: Latin-inspired restaurant and lounge offers a modern Hispanic menu, mojitos and margaritas. Cinco de Mayo is one of their busiest days and they plan to roll out their new summer drink menu on May 5. Regular Happy Hour offers open bar 5-6 p.m. with complimentary hors d'oeuvres til 7 p.m. Now open: outdoor patio on the sidewalk. (1401 K St. N.W)
* Lucky Stripe: Dos Equis at Lucky Strike, Gallery Place for just $4 from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. 701 7th St., NW
* Mackey's Public House: From 4 to 11 p.m. for $5 cover, enjoy Jose Cuervo girls passing our free drinks, free sombreros to the first 100 people and a break the pinata contest. The winner gets a $50 bar tab. Enjoy drink specials that include $3.05 Coors Light and Miller Chill; $4.05 Jose Cuervo Margaritas; $6.05 Jose Cuervo Grand Margaritas; and $8 chicken soft taco platter. (L St. NW between 18th and 19th Streets).
* Madhatter: $3 Coronas and Mexican specialties all day and night. Starting at 8 p.m., participate in the jalapeno eating contest and have fun with the pinata filled with t-shirts, tickets for various events in town, and lots of other goodies. (1831 M Street NW)
* Mate: Arrive early for free Dos Equis beers from 8 to 9, plus $5 sushi rolls. The night continues with a number of drink specials, including $3 Dos Equis and $6 1800 tequila shots, house pina coladas and raspberry mojitos.
DJ Ivan spins Latin rock, house, pop, salsa and Top 40. (3101 K St. NW)
* 51st State Tavern: 10 cent wings from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m. and $4 Coronas all nigth long. Try "Mangoritas" for just $5 from 8 p.m. to close. Giveaways and fun all night long. (: 2512 L Street NW)
* The Park at 14th: DC’s Hispanic Bar Association is sponsoring a party with an open bar from 5-6 p.m. and Free buffet from 5-7 p.m. After 6 p.m. enjoy all night specials like $2 Corona's and Dos Equis. To get more details, click here.
* Rosa Mexicano: Enjoy a Cinco de Mayo masquerade party with live music and a special menu. Patrons who show up in costume will be entered in a contest, and the first 200 to arrive (in a costume) will receive a shot of tequila in a collectible glass.
* Tonic: Eat tacos all night for just fifty cents! (6 taco order minimum) 8 p.m. (3155 Mt. Pleasant Street)
* Tortilla Coast: This Capitol Hill favorite has a great happy hour selection with great tex-mex food and pitchers of specialty margaritas. They will have their 75 cent Tuesday taco special, a live mariachi band, and several drink promotions. (400 1st St. S.E.)
In Northern, Virginia
* Buffalo Wing University: Start your Cinco de Mayo Fiesta early in Fairfax. Starting at noon get free chips and salsa all day, Chill out with the DJ music in the background or get out and break the pinatas and win great prizes. (10312 Willard Way)
* El Paso Cafe: Margarita tastings from 7-10 p.m. Sample featured flavors for half price. Free live music. Sponsored by www.bluereves.com (4235 N Pershing Dr, Arlington, VA
) * Front Page - Ballston: The party starts at happy hour with a mariachi band, and continues through the night with $3 drink specials, $1 tacos from the taco bar and half-price quesadillas. (4201 Wilson Blvd.)
* La Sandía Mexican Kitchen & Bar: Beginning Monday, May 4, enjoy Chef Richard Sandoval’s modern Mexican three- course menu for $29. This special menu will be available through May 7. On Tuesday, May 5 enjoy live latin music from 4- 8 p.m. (7852 Tysons Corner Center); For Reservations go to Opentable.com (Inside of dining room pictured to the right).
* McFadden's: The Dos Diablos Party is named in honor of a drink that combines Dos Equis beer with a shot of Two Fingers tequila. The drink will be available for $5 all night; other specials include $2 Coronas and $3 margaritas. For $10, there will be an all-you-can-eat taco bar at 8 p.m. (2401 Pennsylvania Ave NW)
* Mister Days: Salsa lessons and Free taco bar from 4-7 p.m. (3100 Clarendon Boulevard)
* Rock Bottom Brewery - Arlington: Free nachos while you enjoy drink specials (Ballston location; (4238 Wilson Blvd.)
DininginDC's list is quire impressive. Oyamel, on 7th St. might fit the bill. They have a back room you might be able to snag, and $4 HH drinks!
Guajillo in Rosslyn has one of the better margaritas I've tried in the area. I have no idea if they're doing anything special for tomorrow, more than likely it will be crowded, and the margaritas are fairly strong so i don't know if you'd want to drive there. So, actually this is the worst recommendation ever but the margaritas ARE pretty good.