HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >

What type of knife

carissima Apr 30, 2009 09:09 AM

I have a number of different knives, but what I need is a very sharp knife for cutting that pesky fat off a chicken breast. Any suggestions, please?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. David A. Goldfarb RE: carissima Apr 30, 2009 10:13 AM

    I'd normally just do it with a chef's knife, or I might use a sharp boning knife if I happened to have it in my hand. The main thing is that it be sharp.

    1. funklight RE: carissima Apr 30, 2009 10:18 AM

      I prefer a smaller knife for maneuverability. Paring knives are nimble enough to get between the fat and the meat, and strong enough to dig in. Again, just be sure it's sharp as hell.

      2 Replies
      1. re: funklight
        carissima RE: funklight Apr 30, 2009 03:43 PM

        Thank you
        I'll look into boning and paring knives.

        1. re: carissima
          Cinnamon RE: carissima May 3, 2009 02:20 PM

          I don't have the name at the tip of my tongue but if you want to explore a little, there are three popular types of Japanese knives, one for slicing delicate sushi, I forget the second and the third is a sturdy knife for deboning, etc. Kind of reminiscent of a chef's knife but maybe sturdier.

          I also wonder whether this ceramic knife for descaling and deboning fish might be quite useful... and it's on sale... see a separate Macy's sale thread going on Chowhound, I think it's also on the cookware board.


      2. David A. Goldfarb RE: carissima May 3, 2009 03:55 PM

        This is not such a specialized task that it requires an unusual knife. With a chef's knife, lay the edge of the blade at the place where the fat meats the muscle. If you're holding the knife in your right hand, the fat should be on the right side of the blade and the rest of the breast on the left side, held down with the fingers of your left hand, then tilt the blade to the left, almost flat against the flesh of the chicken breast, and separate the fat from the flesh. It's more like skinning than cutting. When the fat is removed, you can clean up any rough edges with the same knife.

        1 Reply
        1. re: David A. Goldfarb
          ChefTel RE: David A. Goldfarb May 4, 2009 10:44 AM

          I do this task often and find that a sharp utility knife usually does the trick. The chefs knife tends to be too cumbersome for this.

        2. c
          carissima RE: carissima May 4, 2009 11:35 AM

          I went knife shopping on the weekend, and I bought a very sharp paring knife. The boning knife looked scary, I wouldn't be able to handle it.

          Show Hidden Posts