Dessert and coffee spots
I will be traveling with my 14 year old to NYC next week, staying near NYU.
I've promised her we'd "live like New Yorkers" for the week - no special agenda for site seeing, just cruise the different neighborhoods, maybe take in a couple of films at the Tribeca Film Festival. We have a limited budget - 50.00 per day - and have the option to dine in most days, which means the money can go towards a meal or some activity. She wants to hang out at night - the appeal of a city that never sleeps is strong - so assuming this money goes towards a meal/food, I'm looking for places we can go for a late night snack, or dessert and coffee - preferably in a neighborhood where there are other things going on so we can linger and people watch or go window shopping. Any thoughts ?
In Greenwich Village, theres Bruno's bakery, Cafe Reggio and Esperanto cafe.
Here are some google maps I've found useful:
1. Chocolate Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=101302511913686273993.0004349c5f220921d7963&z=16
How late is late? For example, 9:30pm may be late for you, but for some folks, it is still dinner time, and I'm not sure how many restaurants would be happy with a party of two ordering solely desserts and coffee if other parties are waiting for a full on dinner.
Is your $50 per day for each of you, or total? Note that with tax and tip, this leaves only about $40 for food and drink.
Previously on CH:
Note that p*ong has closed.
Thinking about somewhere to go between 10 and midnight - I had in mind more of a cafe type situation - with lighter fare, good desserts/coffee - the 50.00 is for both of us. Understand that 50.00 won't go far, so dessert seems a better bet than dinner. We can avoid the weekend nights (if that helps) - if places won't be thrilled with our dessert not dinner order.
- Luxee in the lower east side has great (and inexpensive) organic, japanese/french inspired desserts but they're only open until 10 on weekdays and 11 on weekends.
- Otto for amazing gelato and really interesting desserts
- Momofuku Milk bar has fantastic cookies, pies and soft serves but no seating
- Veniero's for good coffee and a large selection of italian pastries
Momofuku Ssam Bar
207 2nd Ave, New York, NY 10003
1 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10003
342 E 11th St, New York, NY 10003
6 Clinton St, New York, NY 10002