HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >

Most Dangerous Chocolate Cake?

mcsheridan Apr 4, 2009 08:52 AM

My sister e-mailed me a recipe for a "Chocolate Mug Cake" that serves one (or two, if you're not greedy) and is made in the microwave; yes, in a coffee mug.

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract

Special equipment: 1 large coffee mug (Microwave Safe)

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
Pour in the milk and oil and mix well..
Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.
The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!
Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).

And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?
Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone tried making this? I'm skeptical; there is one whole egg in it, without which it certainly could not rise as it does. I don't have a microwave, so I won't be making it in any case, yet I'm curious.

Here's another take on it, with slightly different proportions of the same ingredients, and a picture showing the finished product sliced in half:
http://www.egglandsbest.com/recipes/d...

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
Delete
  1. e
    Erika L RE: mcsheridan Apr 4, 2009 02:54 PM

    I've made this--once, upon the recommendation of a family member who also raved about Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding--and it's absolutely not worth the calories. The texture is spongy and chewy like bread rather than tender like cake, which I'm guessing is because there's no leavener (because there's nd no heat). Basically, the "rise" (such as it is) is due to the liquid ingredients boiling, which does produce some bubbles that are then trapped by the batter. The flavor is very flat. And as soon as it cools, it turns into a brick. Utterly disgusting, never again!!!

    1 Reply
    1. re: Erika L
      mcsheridan RE: Erika L Apr 4, 2009 04:21 PM

      Thank you. I'll warn my sister of the predicted result.

    2. raphaelabelle RE: mcsheridan Jul 27, 2009 08:02 PM

      it's not fabulous, but will do when you have a chocolate craving. it's pretty eggy and is not good when cold, but i would not say it's a disaster.

      1. m
        miss louella RE: mcsheridan Jul 27, 2009 09:01 PM

        My sister found this one too and when she did it with the kids they LOVED it. She and I were totally underwhelmed, but I'll keep the ingredients on hand (not complicated) because it was such a hit and is such an easy easy dessert. (Especially since neither one of us are dessert people.)

        1. BobB RE: mcsheridan Jul 29, 2009 12:48 PM

          I don't get the title - this is dangerous? Why? Because it's easy to make? Hah! You want dangerous chocolate, I'll show you dangerous chocolate.

          Lora Brody's Bête Noire
          (from her book Growing Up on the Chocolate Diet - paraphrased for Chowhound)

          Ingredients:
          8 oz unsweetened chocolate
          4 oz bittersweet chocolate
          1/2 cup water
          1-1/3 cups sugar
          1/2 lb unsalted butter, at room temp, cut into pieces
          5 extra-large eggs at room temp

          Recipe:
          Butter a 9" cake pan, then cut a piece of wax paper or parchment to fit the bottom, insert it, and butter the paper.
          Turn the oven on to 350° with a rack in the middle.
          Set a kettle of water on to boil.
          Process both chocolates together in a food processor until they're nearly pulverized.
          Boil the sugar and water together in a small pan over high heat until all the sugar is dissolved.
          Crack the eggs into a 2-cup measuring cup with a spout.
          With the food processor running, pour in the boiling syrup, then all the butter piece by piece, then the eggs, and process until smooth.
          Pour the batter into the cake pan, set in a larger pan like a roasting pan, and carefully pour boiling water from the kettle into the larger pan until it comes about halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
          Carefully place pans in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
          Remove cake pan (this is a little tricky because you have to grab a hot pan out of hot water without letting the hot water soak into your oven mitts) and set on a rack to cool for 10 minutes.
          Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen, and flip it onto a a serving plate. Remove the wax paper or parchment.

          While it cools, make the chocolate ganache topping (you didn't think a little thing like a flourless dark chocolate cake would be dangerous all by itself, did you?)

          Scald 1 cup of heavy cream.
          Remove from heat and add 10 oz bittersweet chocolate cut or broken into small pieces.
          Stir until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is smooth.
          Cool slightly, then pour over the top of the cake, spreading with a spatula to cover top and sides completely.

          Serve at room temperature, or slightly chilled.

          Now THAT's dangerous chocolate!

          3 Replies
          1. re: BobB
            nofunlatte RE: BobB Jul 29, 2009 04:35 PM

            I think the "dangerous" part is due to the ease and quickness with which one can make a chocolate cake--dangerous to the waistline, since it can be done on the spur of the moment.

            1. re: nofunlatte
              o
              Old Spice RE: nofunlatte Jul 29, 2009 10:33 PM

              Good take, nofunlatte. Until reading your response, I was thinking that the only thing "dangerous" about chocolate was all the over-the-top recipes it seems to engender. Typed while savoring my nightly bedtime fix of Lindt Excellence dark chocolate with chili. (Only one square, please. I'm about to go to sleep.)

              1. re: nofunlatte
                BobB RE: nofunlatte Jul 30, 2009 04:56 AM

                I know, I get that, but I still scoff at it (tongue in cheek) since you can get a major chocolate fix even more quickly than that by simply opening any of a thousand commercially available goodies. The recipe I gave is low on the difficulty scale as baking goes and produces an infinitely more intense result. I can't personally eat more than about a one-inch slice of it but it's SOOOOO good!

            2. j
              jsaimd RE: mcsheridan Jul 30, 2009 09:01 AM

              I do this for my kids. I often do it by replacing almost all, but not all, the fat with pumpkin puree. I sometimes even reduce the sugar and top with fruit. They don't care, they think their getting a cake.

              I tasted it once, and that is enough. Not worth it - I would rather have a square of very good chocolate

              Show Hidden Posts