Grilled Cheese Month @ Clementine
Man, I can't tell you how disappointed I am. I spent the last few days thinking about the Monte Cristo (it's hard to find a good one; only spots I've had a really good one are Disneyland and in Vegas), only to find out they were out of them! Ugh.
Oh well, I had Oliver's Grilled Cheese instead, and it was still very good. Cheesy with a nice subtle spice that complemented the soppresata very well. My only very small complaint, is why is everyone "panini-grilling" their sandwiches? It tends to make them too crunchy (and "ridge-y") for me and tends to cut the roof of my mouth.
I have the full month's menu up on my blog.
Here ya go!
Here's what Clementine is serving up April 1-4:
* Oliver's Grilled Cheese: pepperjack, soppresata, and Calabrian peppers, on white rye - courtesy of Nancy Silverton of Mozza and La Brea Bakery
* The Original Beef Dip Grilled Cheese, on a French roll served with hot mustard (add a pickled egg, $1)
* Monte Cristo: turkey, ham, gruyere, mayo and dijon on white bread, grilled French-toast-style, dusted with powdered sugar and served with strawberry jam
* Pecorino sardo, oven-roasted tomatoes, olives and thyme on panini bread
* Cheddar and Swiss on dark bread served with crunchy apple slaw
Week of April 6-11:
* Chicharron de queso (crispy fried cheese!) with black beans, avocado, pickled jalapenos, mayo and pico de gallo - courtesy of Jimmy Shaw, chef/owner Loteria Grill
* Grilled cheese al carbon: jack cheese, grilled marinated steak, bacon, avocado, chopped onions and cilantro, served with smoky salsa
* Fontina with truffled mushrooms and brisket jus on country bread
* Grilled Garlic Melt, served with fava bean puree, sauteed greens and shaved parmesan
* Little Armenia: soujouk, melty cheese, herbs and grilled tomato on Armenian bread
P.S. Sandwiches can be prepared meatless and on matzah for Passover - just ask!
Week of April 13-18:
* Provolone, hot Italian sausage and garlicky rapini on ciabatta - courtesy of Evan Kleinman, host of KCRW's Good Food and chef/owner Angeli Cafe
* BBQ chicken with mozzarella, red onion, cilantro, and smoky bbq sauce
* Croque Monsieur: ham and gruyere on country white bread, topped with mornay sauce and more cheese
* Brie, baby spinach, balsamic onions, currants and pine nuts on panini bread
* Quesadilla with havarti, roasted poblanos and ripe mango, served with salsa and black bean salad
P.S. Sandwiches can be prepared meatless and on matzah for passover - just ask!
Week of April 20-25:
* Camembert with mustard greens and delicious mushrooms on country bread - courtesy of Amelia Saltsman, author of The Santa Monica Farmers' Market Cookbook
* Tuna-Runa: Italian tuna, cheddar, and creamy mushrooms on buttery white bread
* Chili dog grilled cheese: meaty chili and hot dog melted together with cheddar cheese. Our salute to Pinks!
* Grilled Torta: ham, cheese, roasted tomato mayo, mustard-fried onions, grilled jalapenos, lettuce and avocado on homemade telera
* Pastrami Reuben: Niman Ranch pastrami, gruyere, sauerkraut and our 10,000 lakes dressing on rye bread
Week of April 27-30:
* Queso mahon with chorizo, quince paste and romesco - courtesy of Suzanne Goin, chef/owner Lucques, A.O.C. and Tavern
* Cobb Sandwich with havarti, blue cheese, chicken, bacon, avocado and roasted tomato mayo on semolina bread
* Ensley Cheese Steak - Annie's cheesy meatloaf grilled with peppers, onions, and pepperjack on a toasted french roll
* Asparagus, green garlic, fines herbs and three cheeses on wholegrain bread
* Mini Mouse Ears grilled cheese - for your kid or the kid in you