Ideas for Nutella and Marshmallow Cake?
In Atlanta, Flip Burger Boutique (Richard Blais is the chef/consultant) has this amazing nutella and burnt marshmallow milkshake. A dear friend of mine craves this shake on a near daily basis. It is her birthday on Friday and I thought it would be fun to make her a cake based on these flavors. I was originally thinking of making a yellow cake, folding in some nutella into a chocolate buttercream recipe, piling on mini-marshmallows on top of the frosted cake with crushed, toasted hazelnuts, and drizzled with chocolate. I was also going to try to torch the marshmallows but thought it maybe hard to cut into the cake if I did that.
1) Would a white cake be better than a rich, buttery yellow cake?
2) Can you think of any problems w/folding nutella into a typical chocolate buttercream frosting? I was wondering if it would affect the texture adversely.
3) Thoughts on the marshmallow topping to try to mimic the burnt, caramelized flavor but not make it impossible to cut into?
Thanks in advance!
You could try this hazelnut chocolate souffle cake w/ nutella mousse. The base is a hazelnut meringue which is like a crunchy marshmallow. Don't do the chocolate ganache frosting but use Dorie Greenspan's marshmallow frosting (I can post that if you want):
CHOCOLATE-HAZELNUT SOUFFLE CAKE
12 large egg yolks
½ c. sugar
6 Tab. Frangelico
½ butter, room temperature
4 oz. Bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
6 Tab. Nutella
1 c. chilled whipping cream
¾ c. hazelnut, toasted, husked
6 Tab. Powdered sugar
1 Tab. All purpose flour
3 large egg whites
3 Tab. Sugar
¾ c. hazelnuts, toasted, husked
½ c. all purpose flour
8 oz. Bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 c. butter
6 eggs, separated
1 c. sugar
½ tsp salt
1 ½ whipping cream
12 oz. Bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
Whisk egg yolks and sugar in medium saucepan to blend. Whisk in Frangelico. Add butter. Whisk gently over medium heat until mixture is thick, about 4 minutes (do not boil). Remove from heat. Add chocolate and whisk until melted. Gently stir in Nutella. Transfer to large bowl; cool to room temperature. Beat cream in medium bowl until cream holds peaks; fold into chocolate mixture in 2 additions. Cover mousse and chill up to one day.
Preheat oven to 300 deg. Remove sides from springform pan; cover bottom with parchment paper round (do not attach sides). Finely groun nuts w/ powdered sugar and flour in processor. Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in medium bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add 3 Tab. Sugar, beating until stiff, not dry. Fold in ground nut mixture. Spoon into bag fitted with 3/8 inch plain round tip. Starting in the center of parchment round, pipe continuous spiral of meringue to cover. Place pan with meringue on baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes. Reduce heat until golden but slightly soft to touch, about 20 minutes longer. Cut around meringue to loosen. Transfer meringue on parchment rack to cool completely (will be crisp).
Preheat oven to 300 deg.. Attach sides to bottom and line with parchment paper. Blend hazelnuts and flour in processor until nuts are finely ground. Stir chocolate and butter in saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth; cool to lukewarm.
Using electric mixer, beat egg yolks, ¼ c. sugar, salt in large bowl until thick ribbon falls when beaters are lifted, about 4 minutes. Fold in chocolate mixture. Using dry, clean beaters, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining ½ c. sugar beating until stiff but not dry; fold into chocolate mixture. Fold in nut mixture in 3 additions.
Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until test inserted into center comes out with moist clumps still attached, about 40 mnutes. Cool completely (center will sink). Press edges to same level as center. Cut around cake, remove sides. Invert cake onto work surface and remove paper.
Return meringue to same pan bottom. Spread 1 c. mouse over meringue; place cake on top. Attach sides of pan. Spoon remaining mousse over cake in pan; smooth top. Cover and freeze overnight.
Bring cream to simmer in medium saucepan. Remove from heat and add chocolate. Stir until melted and smooth. Cool until thickens enough to coat spoon thoroughly, about 2 hours.
Place large sheet of foil on work surface; place cake rack in center. Remove sides from pan, place cake still on bottom pan on rack. Pour ganache over cake, smoothing sides and top with long spatula. Refrigerate until ganache is set, at least an hour, up to a day.
This sounds doable, definitely. I have a recipe, from the Nutella website that I haven't tried yet and it uses that abomination, cake mix, but I was intrigued enough by it to copy it into my recipe software. You might get some inspiration from it. Marshmallow topping would work well for you, a trip under the broiler or a torch would make it look and taste great. Keep a pitcher of hot, hot water nearby and dunk, then clean off your knife in between slices and it shouldn't get too messy. Now I wanna make cake!
1 cup nutella divided
4 large eggs divided
18 1/4 ounces yellow cake mix
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons Frangelico
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly grease and flour 10 inch Bundt pan(I use Baker's Joy spray).
3. In a small bowl whisk together 2/3 cup Nutella and 1 egg.
4. Blend until completely smooth and set aside.
5. In a large bowl using an electric mixer on low, stir together cake mix, 3 remaining eggs, buttermilk, and remaining 1/3 cup Nutella until moistened.
6. Scrape down sides and increase speed to medium for 3 minutes more.
7. Remove 1 cup batter and mix into nutella/egg mixture.
8. Pour batter from large bowl into Bundt pan.
9. Spoon nutella batter over it and using a knife, gently swirl batters together to create a marble pattern.
10. Smooth top of cake batter.
11. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cake has moist crumbs that stick to it.
12. Cool cake in pan for 15 minutes.
13. Carefully invert onto cooling rack and remove pan.
14. While cake cools, make glaze.
16. Whisk together confectioners sugar and Frangelico liquor until smooth.
17. Drizzle over cake.