HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Do you create unique foods? Get great advice

what gadget should i use

midtownDiner123 Mar 22, 2009 04:55 PM

i want to make fries in curly and shoestring shapes.
i've googled it and can't figure out what would be the closest home appliance to do this.

for curly an apple spiralizer by the japanese manufacturer doesn't seem to get the right thickness (judging from photos).

am i best off getting a mandoline and using the julienne blade for shoestring ones?

  1. l
    LadyCook61 Mar 23, 2009 08:29 AM

    I have a Food Processor with shoestring fries disc, makes easy work .

    1. margshep Mar 22, 2009 05:31 PM

      There is a crinkle cutter for potatoes. Not sure where to find one, but they are not uncommon.

      Edit...found one. expensive as hell though. Almost $4 :-)


      4 Replies
      1. re: margshep
        midtownDiner123 Mar 22, 2009 06:35 PM

        a bit out of my price range ; p

        am i better off getting a mandoline or something like this for julienne type fries:

        1. re: midtownDiner123
          margshep Mar 22, 2009 06:43 PM

          I'm sorry, I don't know. I cut everything with a chef's knife so never used any gadgets like that. The crinkle cutter just came to mind. Never owned one. Sorry, not much help but others will be, you can be sure of that.

          1. re: midtownDiner123
            Caitlin McGrath Mar 22, 2009 07:46 PM

            The julienne peeler looks like it might make much too thin a cut (which would probably be pretty flat, too). With a mandoline, you can determine the thickness of the cut you make.

            1. re: Caitlin McGrath
              midtownDiner123 Mar 23, 2009 03:21 AM

              what are good brands for a mandoline? people seem to really like the benriner as it does the job effectively and not too pricey. safety is a major concern of mine with these bc i'm a klutz.

              that's a good point. thanks margshep!

        Show Hidden Posts