april fool's day food
- lschow Mar 20, 2009 09:30 AM
i'm looking to make something for april fool's day for my co-workers that is actually edible (and preferably tasty, too!). i don't want to trick them with spicy cupcakes or chocolate-covered bugs or anything; i'm thinking more along the lines of making them think it looks like one thing, but when they eat it, they taste something else. the first thing that comes to mind is a meatloaf cake with mashed potato frosting. any other ideas?!
That is the first thing that came to mind when I read the beginning of your thread. I say go for it. It's hysterical.
Of course, then again, there's that kitty litter cake served in a litter box with a scoop and Tootsie Rolls on top. You know the one? ;)
And, on a similar theme, that garden-looking cake with gummy worms on top.
Anne gave you the link to Surreal Gourmet. He also does Green Eggs and Ham using honeydew melon for the white part of a fried egg, a little dome of cantaloupe for the yolk, and strips of proscuitto for bacon (a twist on melon and proscuitto).
Here's a link to a woman who makes pizza cakes. There's also a link to her appearance on Unwrapped from Food Newtwork. It tells you how she makes them. Way too sweet for me, but you know your coworkers!
Gingerbread cookies cut out with a dog bone cutter.
Marzipan fruit and vegetables
Dinner Impossible did a show for magicians where the food had to fool the eye, but as I recall he had a bunch of chemicals and liquid nitrogen to use, so that's probably not gonna work!
My favorite suggestion (but I can't find a picture to show you) is ravioli using green and white striped pasta, filled and rolled into a Tootsie Roll shape, ends twisted like a candy in a wrapper. I made them once. A bit labor intensive. But they were delicious and very fanciful. Serve with sauce.
Wasn't there a thread on Chow not too long ago about someone's boyfriend cooking for his commercial art office? Seems there were some tromp l'oeil suggestions there.
Edit: Never mind. It was a Grinch-themed breakfast, not fool the eye.
Mini flower pots filled with chocolate cake 'dirt' trifle. You can make flower petals out of marshmallow slices and form a flower on a popsicle stick using icing. Gummy worms add to the dirty effect. Kind of like the garden cake, but individual
My favorite is the kitty litter cake. It looks so real, it's nearly disgusting... Just type "kitty litter cake" in Google and search images.
as others have said, the meatloaf & dirt cakes were my first two thoughts.
other ideas i've seen through the years:
- "grilled cheese" sandwiches made with toasted pound cake and frosting or buttercream
- fake fries: cut refrigerated bread or cookie dough to look like fries, roll in sugar & bake. serve in a paper fry cup with "ketchup" (cherry or strawberry sauce) and "honey mustard" (butterscotch, caramel or apricot sauce) for dipping
- pizza: crust is bread or cookie dough or a tortilla, sprinkled with sugar or drizzled with honey before baking. toppings are melted white chocolate (as the mozz), and various candies & nuts.
- mock sushi: rice krispie treat & gummy candy filling wrapped with fruit leather
- parfait/sundae glasses layered with mashed potatoes & gravy
- vanilla yogurt or ice cream with butterscotch sauce plated to look like mashed potatoes & gravy
- ice cream sandwiches or cookie sandwiches made to look like burgers
and of course there are also some beef & cheese dips that [purposely or not] bear a striking resemblance to canned dog food...